Wi-fi: No hardware installed. error

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by johnbhoyc, Aug 13, 2014.

1. johnbhoyc macrumors newbie

Hi.
    My macbook air won't connect to the Internet. When i click on the wifi icon top right it says wi-fi hardware not installed. Google didn't return any fixes so thought I'd try here.
    I'm booked into apple store tonight with my battery issues so i suppose it's the best time for any faults to occur but was wondering if anyone's had the same problem and might have a fix.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sonds like maybe the wifi radio failed or maybe some sort of corruption with OS X.

Did you try booting into recovery partition to see if it can connect to the internet via wifi?

3. johnbhoyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply mate.
    When I took it inti the apple store it miraculously started working again.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Did the Apple folk do anything to the machine, or did the wifi just magically start working again? If the latter, I'd have (perhaps unfounded) concern about the health of either the O/S or the hardware...

5. johnbhoyc thread starter macrumors newbie

I had my macbook in because the battery wont charge. I posted this thread about it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1763197

It was coincidence that the wi-fi stopped working just before my appointment.
    When I got there the apple assistant opened my laptop and it connected to their network instantly. I had tried all different types of resets to correct the problem and nothing worked but it worked straight away in the shop.

My battery wouldn't charge when she plugged it in but less than 2 minutes later it was working fine. I told her that it sometimes worked but it doesn't work for days sometimes. Unbelievable that it just happened to work 2 mins after she plugged it in.
    She did notice it wasn't working for the first 2 mins though and put it on file. Did some reset holding in p and r and told me to bring it in if it happened again. The battery stopped charging the minute i got home lol.
    The wifi has been fine since though. Taking it back in on friday and will leave it with them to get it fixed.