Wi-Fi Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badkidjdd, Jan 9, 2012.

1. badkidjdd macrumors newbie

I seem to be having a problem with getting my MacBook Pro on the Internet from my bedroom. The router is on the ground floor in my house and my bedroom is on the top floor. However, I know the problem I'm having isn't anything to do with the signal because I go on the Internet from my bedroom all the time and it just gives me trouble at random times. I have no problems on my old Dell computer or on my iPad with getting Internet from my room. I know there isn't anything wrong with my Mac itself because I take it to school every day and the Internet there works just fine. I also know it's not a case of how many computers my router can handle either because when I take my Mac downstairs and use it, it works just fine. What is the problem and how do I sort it out?

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Generally when I'm having issues I'll try a static configuration, then maybe try a DHCP lease on the IP, but static gateway and/or DNS. You can use Googles DNS for a static value, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

FWIW, I only use static configurations around the home/office, I have a small pool set aside for "guest machines".

Also the more modes that are active on your router, the more problems I see, so turn off modes that aren't being used, and confirm you have the latest firmware (usually a check built in the web UI for most routers).