Wi-Fi On The Road

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by tswensen, Mar 23, 2013.

1. tswensen macrumors newbie

My wife and I are finally retired. We will be making many road trips but we want to maintain a secure connection between our MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, two iPads, two iPhones and the internet while on the road. Our provider is AT&T. What is the best Wi-Fi solution for us in our van as we move down life's highway in retirement? :cool:

2. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

maybe you can just tether your phone to all of your devices...

I would personally just jailbreak it and use a cydia tethering solution so att doens't ass rape you financially.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have one of the newer Novatel MiFis from AT&T. Work pretty well providing Internet and the clients can see each if you permit it.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Just enable tethering on one of the iPhones. Works great on AT&T.

If one of your iPhones has LTE, all the better.

It's a far cheaper solution than using a Novatel porta-hotspot.

(I don't agree with the jailbreaking recommendation. Just do things legitimately with AT&T.)

5. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Something tells me that he might not be too interested in jailbreaking his iPhones any more than, as you called it: getting ass raped by AT&T.

----------

Pretty much all major companies provide this: AT&T might be a good option since you already have an account with them and you may qualify for a bundled service plan discount of some sort.

Verizon's might be worth a look at: http://www22.verizon.com/home/wifi-wireless-internet-service/

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just remember that most RV campsites in the USA are NOT in cell range and if it is most likely it won't be even be 3G!!! So look for ones that offer Wi-Fi.

7. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a