Wi-Fi Plus Cellular?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by sflomenb, Aug 7, 2012.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I saw it in photos of Settings in the newest beta on this forum. What exactly is its purpose?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If your Wifi is unusually slow and not suitable to whatever you're doing, it'll switch to cellular.

3. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

In case wifi doesn't get a useable Internet connection it'll use cellular data.

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It happens to me all the time when I get in my car at my house. The Wifi signal is strong enough for the phone to keep attached, but not strong enough to actually transfer data. I have to manually switch off the Wifi to get any internet access. This should prevent that and allow data to failover to cell.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Will that switch imessage over 3G when wifi is really slow? Thats my only issue here when overseas.

6. lpeedin macrumors regular

Appears that your question has been answered, but I'll just add another scenario where this will be nice. Often times in the waiting rooms at hospitals and dr. offices there will be a strong WiFi signal, but no internet service on it and to use my device I have to manually disable WiFi to force 3G. I don't have the beta installed, but it looks like this feature will automatically the switching.

7. Sundar83 macrumors member

Realy aawsome feature jz loved it and waiting for taste it

8. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've seen this in airports too. Basically the wifi is "open" in that it doesn't require a password to join the SSID but the use of the wifi requires registration to actually get to the internet. It's maddening. This is a very welcome "enhancement."

9. Pirate515 macrumors member

Let's hope that it takes care of that. I also have 2 scenarios where this would come in handy.

First, at my work we have this guest WiFi network. There is a security policy on it that requires you to open a web browser and re-acknowledge the disclaimer after you've been idle for some time. The funny thing is that when this is being "forced" on you, your iDevice remains connected to WiFi and still has a valid IP; however, whatever apps are trying to connect to the Internet are SOL until you open up Safari, try to browse somewhere and re-acknowledge the disclaimer. If this feature works as desired and can automatically determine that despite the fact that WiFi has valid IP, it is useless and switch over to cell data, that would be huge.

Second, my cable company has WiFi hot spots throughout the area. In some cases they work, in others they don't despite the fact that the iDevice appears to be connected. Again, if this can determine that WiFi is useless and go to cell instead, it would be nice.

10. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

Is anyone else not seeing the Wi-Fi Plus Cellular option in their settings on 6b4?

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

Look under Settings > General > Cellular

12. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

13. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

^ you should be able to scroll that window down. When I first brought my screen up it looked exactly like the one you posted... Wifi+Cell is next along with choices for using cellular for iCloud, iTunes, etc...

14. astral125 macrumors 6502

I am not running ios6 on my iPhone, but it looks like this on my iPad.

Attached Files:

15. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I am really looking forward to this. I can't remember how many times I have had a poor wifi connection and had to switch it off to get connected.

16. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Can anyone confirm that a slow wifi will trigger the switch or just a dead wifi (ie, connected but no Internet at all)?