Wi-Fi problem after 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iJiten, Aug 6, 2009.

1. iJiten macrumors member

After installing 10.5.8, my Wi-Fi when my computer is unplugged no long works. When the computer is plugged in however the internet works perfectly but the second I unplug the power cord, the internet cuts off. Has anyone else experienced this after updating to 10.5.8 and solved the problem.

I have a 2.4GHz Penryn MacBook Pro.

Also, could someone give me a link to instructions on downgrading the firmware back to 10.5.7.

Thanks.

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

You can't downgrade. You have to reinstall using the restore disks

3. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Funny, OSX 10.5.7 completely screwed up my airport connection (again). It has been (finally) working again since I did the upgrade to 10.5.8 last night.

Apple hasn't been able to get it right with Leopard's airport connections. :rolleyes:
    Every single upgrade has included some "fix" that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. There's a bunch of threads on the matter - here's a couple of them:

Connection timeout and no wireless network

Macbook Connection Timeout?

Sorry about the rant, but I've had a hard time with this issue. I even made a post in my blog about this in May last year, and still had issues yesterday!! :mad:

4. iJiten thread starter macrumors member

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

6. bfc macrumors member

I have the same problem.... Damn frustrating that there is no good way (without reinstalling) to rollback a service pack install

7. Steve-M macrumors regular

If you had a time machine back up, could you boot from the install DVD and use the restore utility to return your system to the way it was before the upgrade?

8. bfc macrumors member

I'm considering it, I did back up before applying the service pack, but, I'm going to wait a couple of days to see if Apple issues a fix.

9. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

Same issues here: Wifi was perfect before the upgrade and after it was super slow and dropped connection altogether a few times. I reset the AEBS tonight and that actually seems to have fixed my issues. :confused:

10. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

11. khongaeng macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro 5,1 and I am having these same problems. I even installed a beta of the Snow Leopard to no avail. Makes me think that it is a problem with the Software on the Airport Express. My imac that's on 10.5.7 has absolutely no problems

12. simplemann macrumors newbie

OS 10.5.8 airport problem: Connection Timeout.

Hello Everyone!!!
    I had a Macbook pro with OS 10.3 (2007 version) and last night i decided to upgrade it to OS 10.5.8. So far so good, i like the new version. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get the internet with airport however when i plug an Ethernet cable it does work properly.
    First of all, i went to "system preferences" then "network" in which the airport icon is ON with a yellow light. Then i opened "Safari" to get the network diagnostic but all the lights were red. I ticked the airport box as usual, selected a network, key in the password and was told that i might not put the right password (but that's not the case).
    I went to the airport status in the menu bar, to try again and but at the bottom of the window, it was written "Connection Timeout"...what does this mean?
    On the internet, it is said to have all the "Mac OS upgrades" but when i checked my "Software upgrade" everything was done.
    My housemate has a PC and he told me he could get connected wirelessly which means that i therefore put the right password and that problem come from my Mac.
    I even downloaded the 10.5.8 update 1.0 and when i tried to install it, i had an alert saying that "my computer doesn't meet the hardware requirements for this update".
    When install OS 10.8.5 i got time machine on my laptop but whether it's on or off, i don't think that's the problem.
    I really need to use a wireless connection, could you please help me to sort this out?!?
    Many thanks

13. khongaeng macrumors regular

My Solution

For some odd, reason, I was having these problems even after updating to 10.6.x. I tried everything, and was occasionally successful, but it was usually short-lived. What finally fixed my problem was going into Airport Utility and changing the channel by which it communicates. It was originally setup to use a channel automatically (I think it was 11). After changing it to 8, I believe, I haven't had the problem since. I noticed that the same time I started having the problem (it also happened to coincide with updating to 10.5.8), a neighbor connected a wireless network. My guess is that there was some sort of interference that was confusing the airport on my macbook pro. In any case, that was what solved the problem for me. Good luck!

14. mac2x macrumors 65816

Exactly the same problems here. 10.5.8 solved them.

15. megamip macrumors newbie

one solution found

If you are in control of the wifi network, change the channel of the network to 10, 11 or 12 in Airport Utility. Your mac should automatically receive on the new channel and internet will be full speed...

Well, it worked for me ;)

16. malini108 macrumors newbie

This worked

Hi ,after installing os x 10.5.8 on iMac G5 1.6 MHz ,wi-fi was dropping ,time out connection etc... tried diff thinks suggested by other users but none worked . So I thought to disconnect and take out airport card and re-connect . After doing that ,all works fine .don't know why but helped (-:

When opening iMac G5 ,disconnect from mains ,put iMac face down onto flat surface covered with soft cloth to protect screen ,unscrew 3 small screws at the bottom,lift up the back with a stand , airport card is visible .Unplug the card and pull it out of slot .After that put it back into a slot and put back the small plug into it .Close up ....If in doubt ,go to you tube to see video how to....