Wi-fi problem (not for noobs)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CZK, Nov 12, 2010.

1. CZK, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

So, everytime i connect to my wi-fi network with my iphone ( i can be on youtube, skyfire, skype etc), my linksys router stop emitting wireless ( after a certain ammount of time, never the same). Then since there is no more network, my iphone and all my computers get droped from my wireless network. I think this have something to do with ports and or my router itself or its firmware version.

Am i the only one to have this problem ?

Iphone 4 : 32 gb jailbroken with limera1n final + iOS 4.1

Router:LINKSYS BEFW11S4 with firmware--> 1.45.10, Apr 15 2004
    [​IMG]
    ________
    One Vaporizer

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

nope I have that same router and have the same problem. It doesn't happen every time for me though. This always happens though when I do a hard reset on my ipod touch.

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

You need to upgrade your router to something that supports more than 802.11.b

I am not saying that is the problem... but that router is a dinosaur. I bet replacing it could clear up your problem just because it would be better technology.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I had old Linksys and Belkin routers that both failed in a manner similar to what you describe.

Too many connections, too much activity, they'd gradually (or suddenly) go off-line.

It's an age thing, probably. The RF componentry gets old, goes off-tune, degrades. The one you describe is six years old. Chances are, it is dying.

Suggest you get a new router. I use and recommend the D-Link DIR-655, very fast and has been reliable in my usage, and with an excellent/industrial-strength firewall that plays nice with my VOIP and VPN applications. The cost is well under $100. http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-65...FB7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289698557&sr=8-1. Apple's routers are also excellent and offer some really nice functionality but tend to be a little pricier.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have 4 DIR-655 running and they are good routers. No problems ever. My house, my mom's house, wife's parents house, and my kids place.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Great, glad to know I'm not the only satisfied customer.

My son has two Apple routers, and they're wonderful. He has them set up to relay the WiFi signal across the house; I've tried dedicated repeaters from Linksys and Hawking and had nothing but trouble. So I'd rank the Apple routers very high too based on his seamless experience. But the DIR-655 is quite the bargain by comparison.

7. ALs2000 macrumors newbie

I had the same router, had the same problem w PS3, you need to upgrade your router.

8. triptyx macrumors member

triptyx

Newer isn't always better though.

If you're going to buy a new one, do your research. I recently bought a Linksys Wireless N Small Business Security Router and it was total garbage - wouldn't keep the wireless running, and randomly dropped my VPN connection to work at least once an hour, requiring me to reboot the router. Piece of crap. I went back to using a 12 year old Linksys Etherfast Router as the primary router on my network and hey presto - all my problems with the VPN stopped. :p

Mean time, try different router firmware versions, some are better than others, but if you have an inherent hardware problem (which apparently is pretty frequent with Linksys routers - and I used to be a very loyal customer of theirs) you're just screwed.

9. CZK, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but this one was bought like in 2001 and was up to date on a 2004 firmware.

Went to the store today and bought a new d link rangebooster thing for 49.99 ( my computer don't have N cards so why pay 149.99 for super duper routers).

For now its pretty good, only time will tell me if it lags or drops.

Will post here again if im having trouble with this one too.
    ________
    MEDICAL CANNABIS