Wi-Fi problem on 3GS after updating 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by E.Abdullayev, Nov 17, 2009.

1. E.Abdullayev macrumors newbie

SOS!!! First of all, hi to all!, thanx for this cool forum I recently updated my Iphone 3GS from 3.1 to 3.1.2 and I have a little problem. Unfortunately now I cannot connect any Wi-Fi spot to download Cydia and sn0w Thats why I cannot unlock my phone, help me please... I had already RESETED NETWORK SETTING and had already RESTORED my phone twice... But even those there is no effect... I'm waiting for answers... Or suggestions... If You have some advices contact with me PLEASE... E.Abdullayev@live.com or leave your comments right here... Please help... MORE TRULY I CAN CONNECT, I mean it is connecting normally and I have WI-FI icon on my statusbar, BUT it seems it is just icon, because when I try to connect YouTube or ITunes or App Store or any site it is written that there is no connection And icon often disappears... (( I HAVE ALREADY TRIED IT WITH MANY WI FI SPOTS... (( NOBODY KNOWS SOLUTION??? (( Thanx for reading, I'm waiting...

2. eleven7 macrumors regular

Try this:

1. Turn ON airplane mode.
    2. Reset network connections.
    3. Turn OFF airplane mode.
    4. Restart your phone. (Press and HOLD Home and Lock buttons for 10 secs)

I had a similar problem after upgrading to 3.1.2 and then Jailbreaking and this worked for me.

3. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Not sure if this may be that cause of the problem...

My iPhone 3g was jailbroken at 3.0.1 using redsn0w and ultrasn0w and the wifi was working fine :)

after a few months of pondering whether to update the firmware to 3.1.2 and keep it jailbroken i decided to go ahead with it using blackra1n to jailbreak. i did this and the wifi was still working fine...decided to try blacksn0w and again the wifi was fine....

the problem started when i decided to remove blacksn0w from the iphone and then that was when the wifi decided to stop working! :confused:

tried everything...restoring, resetting re-jailbreaking but no such luck...:mad:

4. eleven7 macrumors regular

What firmware did you restore back to? The wifi problem lies with the 3.1.2 update. Every time I restore, then re-jailbreak (I had to do a few times the other day due to other reasons) I got the same wifi problem. Each time I just used the method I gave to fix it. There are a whole lot of other methods people have suggested/has luck with. Check them here if you haven't done already. Hopefully you find something that works for you. :)

5. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

makes NO sense or you left something out....when you reset network settings your phone auto reboots and airplane mode goes off...you cant do it in the order you pose......none of that works anyway....there are a thou post in other forums that there is a conflict w/ the wifi chip and 3.1.2 on many many phones....glta

6. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

if your iphone is still under warranty then take it to your nearest apple store and they will assess the iphone and if it cannot be repaired at the store then they will replace your iphone.

if you have a jailbroken iphone then you MUST do a complete restore to completely remove the jailbreak software ;) prior to returning the iphone :)

7. eleven7 macrumors regular

Yes, there is a wifi conflict problem with 3.1, but there is more than one issue that is causing and for some of those my method works perfectly well.

And yes, it makes sense. I really can't see how I could have put it any clearer.

The method was given by someone at the Apple store, posted on the Apple discussion forum and has fixed the problem for some people. Myself being one of them, as well as a friend's who I used the method on in the weekend.

Don't ask me why but according to the Apple store guy, the only way to really reset all Network connections properly is to switch into Airplane mode, as this means that no network services are in use.