Wi-Fi Problem :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitabhbansal, Aug 27, 2011.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

friends
    i have macbook pro 17 inches, intel based (without Thunderbolt) which i purchased in januray 2011, and i am using Netgear wifi router N-300, i am facing a wifi problem since i purchased this laptop, it was came with SL pre-installed, i have successfully connected the laptop with wifi, and it worked fine, but after few days it doesnt connect, it shows me the name of the wifi router but whenever i tried to connect it, it said wrong password, then i tried the wifi off and on several times and then it connected,
    Now i have installed LION, and still the same problem, sometimes it connects and works fine and sometimes i have to switch wifi on and off many many many times, i have losted my mind, i have also updated lion with that update which contains wifi issues resolves, but still no success, please help me
    Thanks

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Have you tried switching off the router and switching it back on after ~20 secs?

3. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i tried that too, but the problem is not router, i have changed 3 routers and the problem is same,
    if the password is wrong then why my Ipad, iphone, ipod touch, sony vaio is getting connected by same password? and the main thing is, when i switch off and on the wifi many times, it gets connected with the same password.

4. Kiriga macrumors newbie

Kiriga

Try updating your router's firmware. It has worked for me in a couple occasions.
    You can also try turning your security encryption in WEP rather than WPA or WPA2.

5. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, firmware is the latest and the security is already in WEP

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

There seems to be quite a few (present included) that have been inflicted with WiFi problems since updating to Lion. All the fixes out on the interwebs seem to work for a reboot or two then the problem resumes.

I don't think there's much to do about it until Apple posts a new OS update. :(

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

WEP encryption is very weak compared to WPA and WPA2. I would recommend WPA2 encryption and hope that apple issues a fix soon. Until then, you can always downgrade to SL.

8. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

But the same problem was in SL too, but not that much frequent

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

maybe you are trying to connect from too far away from the router, and it is having trouble because of that

I've had a similar problem before, and connecting from closer fixed it.

10. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

ya it is far, but not too much far, whenever the macbook connected it, it shows me full bars of wifi, and even my iMac 27 inch is more far then my macbook, but iMac dont have such a problem

11. df2gadgetman macrumors member

df2gadgetman

Suggest upgrade your router. I recently upgraded my Netgear router to Apple Airport Extreme. Real easy to setup and now my microwave oven doesnt block the wifi signals.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot