Wi-Fi problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by applepancakes, Jan 22, 2013.

1. applepancakes macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Macbook 0SX 10.5.8, which I love but recently the wireless signal dropped and now I can only get internet by connecting to the modem with a dsl cable. The airport icon is all black and says connected but I can't bring up web pages in either Safari or Firefox. I've just spoken to Sky helpline, they said as I can connect wirelessley to a printer and mobile phone, its probably a problem with my Macbook :eek: I have been into Apple store genius bar as my mac needed a repair and they checked wireless signal, which worked fine in the Applestore :confused: Kinda defeats the object of having a laptop if I'm tethered to the modem by a dsl cable! Not sure what to do next so would really appreciate any advice, cheers :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Try this, move the next folder to the desktop, if it copies it to the desktop delete the original and after this restart.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

This resets all network settings, if this did not work you can move it back.

But, you can also make a new User account in the Account Preference Pane, then logout of your account and login to the other one, is this working, if not then there are issues in your normal account.

Also, do you have any programs like virus/internet security running, little snitch or cleaning apps like MacKeerer and CleanMyMac, if so get rid of them, they are all crap.

3. applepancakes thread starter macrumors newbie

re: wifi problem

Thank you for your quick reply and advice, I have tried the remedy's suggested but still no joy. I haven't installed any mac keeper or clean my mac as I was worried these would may cause slowness. How frustrating! The wifi icon in the top bar is all black and says connected to my internet but both Safari and Firefox say server not found :confused:

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

But, did you try to log into another account?
    If it does not happen there then the problem is in your normal User Account.

You could also post a few screenshots from Airport settings.
    What if you enable or disable IPv6 in Airport Network settings.

What is also possible is that it's not the Macbook which is the problem but your wireless Modem/router, resetting it or choosing another channel could work.

Edit: Maybe the Modem/router has too many restrictions in it now like a firewall blocking.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Right so to be clear your network is...

Sky dsl > airport > devices

You can access all devices on the network
    But Internet access isn't possible

Is it possible from another device on the network?

6. applepancakes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help,

I've created a new separate account and logged in, both accounts show strong airport signal in top bar icon but no web pages come up.

Not sure how to disable any sky firewall or reset router. My printer and mobile phone both have strong signal and can access the internet from sky router. Going to take mac into a cafe today to try another wifi, let you know how I get on.

Laptop is connected - phoneline - sky router - dsl cable - mac. Macs 4yrs old, Airport worked till recently, now airport icon is all black but webpages in Firefox / safari say server not found.

Yesterday said under Airport - Network preferences - Status On : AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet. ? Today says Airport Status: Authenticated
    Connect Time: 00:11:14

Configure IPv6 was on manual, have set to Off but no change in connectivity.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Bold, that one in itself is already a problem, it most likely had a 169.xxx.xxx.x number, if you see this it is connected but you will never have internet.

Resetting a router is easy, there is always a reset button on a router, hold it for 10 seconds until the light go out and on again, this will reset the Modem/router.

I don't think it's your Mac, I think it's the router.

8. applepancakes thread starter macrumors newbie

Wifi problem solved

Hi Just Perry,

I've just reset the sky router and my WiFi is working great! That was the problem, so glad its not a problem with my beloved macbook :D
    Thankyou for all your good advice, have a nice day:)

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

:D
    No worries.
    Glad it's solved, sometimes it's just an easy fix as in your case.