Wi-Fi Problems on New MBP - Should I return it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbischke, Mar 6, 2009.

1. jbischke macrumors newbie

I got a new MBP about 6 weeks ago. I had an older MBP which I bought two years ago and I never had wi-fi problems. However, the new MBP has given me a constant stream of wi-fi problems.

Problem #1 - When I move my MBP at home more than 20 feet away from my AEBS it drops the signal altogether. Even when I'm within 20 feet I have to set the network to N-only which means I can't access the wireless using my iPhone.

Problem #2 - I often connect in Starbucks using T-Mobile. My old MBP never had any issues. However, about 2/3 of the time that I try to connect with the new MBP I have issues. It usually connects at first but then drops the signal after a bit and I can't always reconnect.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to take the computer back and swap it out for a new one. All the software is up-to-date (running 10.5.6) so I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. This is my last gasp effort before I go through the hassle of trying to get a new machine.

Any suggestions for things I can try?

2. jmark macrumors member

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

What do you mean "swap it out for a new one"?

Have you tried different channels?

What power setting is your AEBS set at?

Do you have interference robustness active?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Isolate the problem.

- try in new user (usually network problems are system wide but it wouldn't hurt to try! :D)
    - DELETE com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and preferences.plist
    - it helped that you tried Wi-Fi at various locations so there is a good chance that it is hardware related

because it's Wi-Fi, there are so many external variables that could cause your computer to not work. Best thing to do is try the above then call into AppleCare (they will tell you to perform what I've told you to do so you can just skip it!) and see what other steps are necessary before setting up a mail-in-repair.