Wi-Fi Protection and Software Updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bingefeller, Jun 26, 2007.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Just curious as to what kind of wi-fi protection you guys use?

I use WEP, although I've read that it's the least secure. I choose it because it sounded pretty simple to set up.

Today I was checking for software updates and I noticed that there are two updates available for Airport Extreme. They are Airport Extreme Update 2007 - 002 and Airport Extreme Update 2007 - 003. The update for 2007 - 002 reads

I was curious as to whether I should install this? I'm worried incase it knocks my settings off and I can't get online. Any advice would appreciated!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I assume you have an Intel Mac - I'd go ahead and install these. Just make sure to make a note of your settings somewhere before installing just in case you need to re-enter something.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup - I have an Intel Mac.

You think I should continue to use WEP? I mean, it's secure enough, right?

4. Thinine macrumors newbie

Probably. But I don't think WPA2 is any harder to setup and it's much more secure.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I don't know what router you have, but I recently set up a DLink router with WPA2 protection and it was very easy to do. Both my Mac Mini (using DLink USB dongle) and my Wii are connected to it and I haven't had any problems.

6. TilJ macrumors member

WEP, especially 40-bit WEP (commonly called 64-bit even though it's not), is not secure. It's like like locking your door with a sign saying "please don't steal my stuff". It keeps polite people out and that's about it.

As the Wikipedia puts it, "Despite its weaknesses, WEP provides a level of security that may deter casual snooping" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy)

7. skierdude macrumors member

skierdude

8. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If you have the capability to use WPA2, I would recommend using it. It is significantly better than WEP.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I personally eat acrylic paint, therefore its safe enough...

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

WEP attacks have become fairly advanced. Some boast of cracking keys in under a minute or so.

It's not very secure.