wi-fi question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gowanis, Oct 24, 2007.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

my home network is all wired and i haven't had time to get to a starbucks or Barnes & Noble to test out Safari on my Touch.

However, when I'm home, and I check my Wi-Fi settings, I see an available network "Linksys." I live in a condo, so I'm guessing its from one of my neighbors. The network does not appear to be locked (requiring a password). I get an IP address (192.168.100.11 I believe), but when I try to view a web page I get:

"safari can't open the page because it can't find the server"

Anyone know what's going on here? Am I finding a valid network? Should I be able to access it since there is no password requirement?

2. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Best to ask your neighbour how to connect to their wifi.

3. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

the same thing happens to me at work , i get a "FREE PUBLIC WIFI" at work , but when i try Safari of Youtube , it says "Can not connect to server"

4. beaker26 macrumors member

They might be doing MAC filtering where they enter into their router what MAC address can connect to the router, and since yours isn't in there it doesn't allow you to connect.

5. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

6. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

hope you have a T-Mobile account otherwise it wont work , safari will take you straight to a T-Mobile sign up page

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

they can mac filter and also filter what websites you look at. My works guest network blocks youtube, ebay, etc....

its super easy.
    There is no way to really answer your questions w/o asking your neighbor or login into his router.

[details removed by moderator]

cant remember which is the basic setup on a linksys router,nonetheless its one of those.

8. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i've successfully accessed the router. i don't see any access restrictions. not sure why i can't use it to get out to the internet. what else should i look for ?

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

dude, you shouldnt do anything... I was just throwing out options. I shouldnt have told you the wireless router info. Dont change anything on their router w/o their permission. I was partially kidding about logging into their router.

10. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm not going to change any of their settings. i just wanted to see a damn web page come up one time. so barnes & noble or starbucks are my best best for a free hotspot ?

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

its funny that you are upset that you NEIGHBORS wireless router wont let you access webpages...

12. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

the touch does not have WPA enterprise or 802.1X so it wont connect to your works one, most likely. As far as your neighbor's wifi goes, it could be the same problem. Their router is most likely not set up for whatever wifi capabilities the touch has. My touch is having the same "Safari cannot connect to the server" problem on my campus' wifi.

13. dikiem macrumors member

It was a year ago or so a guy in Florida got convicted 5 years prison for stealing his neighbor internet line through wifi.

So if I were you, shouldn't do it.

14. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

so getting back to my question, does B&N and/or starbucks work with the Touch? Someone mentioned something about a T-Mobile account ?

15. ps56k macrumors member

ps56k

Notice the word FREE missing here ??
    Most of these hotspots require a paid account for access... ie T-Mobile -

try Panera - if one is local - they are FREE -
    or a local library or other WiFi public access site.

again... look for the word FREE Hotspot -

but if you can see the Linksys router config screen (dumbass didn't change the password) or you go to a hotspot and can see the signup screen, at least you know it's working...

16. savar macrumors 68000

savar

You probably don't have an IP address...you can try making up an IP address but unless you pick one that is on their subnet it won't work. Try 192.168.1.199...if that doesn't work then it's over your head and you can forget about it.

17. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

link please, im pretty sure that rule has been changed. An I also think that it had something to do with him sitting outside their house using the internet

Arisian

18. mmfy macrumors regular

Be nice and stop trying to steal your neighbor's wifi. Create your own ad hoc network (as I plan to do until I can afford a router):

wifi w/o router

19. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

enough already, i already said i just wanted to test out my safari browser. i have a perfectly good desktop with a wired network to use at home.

20. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i finally had a chance to get out and try some hotspots.

yes, it is true, Barnes & Noble and Starbucks are NOT FREE. you have the option of paying for one time access, or more, or using coupons.

I also tried McDonalds which also offered a pay option.

Best Buy had a network that I connected to, but no internet access.

And finally, yes Panera bread is totally FREE and gives you true internet access (1 mbps in this case)

All this just makes me wish I had the iPhone instead, because Safari is much better than my Treo 700w using pocket IE.

21. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

never any wi-fi

I'm so frustrated with my iPod Touch. Too many times now i'll have a full signal and get that ****ing "safari can't find server" message. Sometimes i think i just wasted my money. I only bought it because of the wi-fi. I was in a restaurant before and really needed it. I connected to a line that said "FREE public wi-fi and again NOTHING worked. I really hope a firmware update can fix this. It's such a cool device but it really getting to be annoying when it doesn't work.

22. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i can't comment on your problems with any certainty, but have you tried to connect to a known, stable, home network ? You might think you are getting free service, but its possible that its not. If you have problems with your own internet connection and wireless router, then maybe there is something wrong with your device.

23. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

hey.. yeh, it does work on my home network. It seemed when i first got it, it worked in a lot of places. Now it doesn't. These aren't the same places. Always somewhere different. :(

The restaurant i was in before where it said Free Wi-fi.... when i connected, i had full bars too and still didn't work. i tried a few websites too.

24. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

This has happened to my touch too.

I always thought it was because the signal was not strong enough to maintain an acceptable connection? Maybe it's strong enough to see the network, and register, but not enough to stay online?