Wi-Fi quirk....just live with it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by camardelle, Feb 23, 2012.

1. camardelle macrumors 6502

Or will Apple fix it?

I've noticed a ton of dropped wifi signals and my reading here on the forum tells me that Apple is aware and "working" on the issue. As an Apple noob, what can I expect from Apple. It's an inconvenience, but still frustrating. Will Apple issue an update to the os that will fix this, or are they too busy working on the next iMac to be bothered by it.

I still love my iMac, but what a pain!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

But....

It's not an issue on my MacBook Pro, or my daughter's Dell, just my iMac like a lot of other iMac computers. Being so new to Apple computers I was really wondering if on other occasions Apple took care of it quickly or later. It would seem like this has only really happened with the newest update to Lion. While it was less of an issue, it seems exaggerated after the latest update.

Like I said before, it's an inconvenience, but a pain. :)

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

It is totally random. I had it for a while then it randomly stopped. But then i have time warners ****** router so....

5. leman macrumors 604

More specifically, its a Lion bug. My 2011 iMac's WiFi worked like a charm with SL, but dropps connection on Lion. Its sad, but Apple doesn't seem to see this as priority because their own router lineup seems to work just fine...

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I had a D-Link router (DIR-655) and my iMac would drop wireless quite a bit, especially around midnight, almost like clockwork every day.

Then I went back to my Airport Extreme that I lent to a friend, which was a couple days ago, and it hasn't dropped signal at all. Don't really know what changed, although my iMac is now on the 5GHz band...maybe the iMac glitch is with 2.4GHz networks?

7. leman macrumors 604

This is entirely possible, I use an old Linksys WRT54GL which only supports 802.11g.... It would be interesting to know if the imac has any problems with non-Apple 802.11n routers. If it can play along with them nicely, than the issue is not as bad as oen would think — 802.11g is more or less obsolete nowadays after all.

8. RyanHarvey macrumors newbie

It's difficult to say exactly that apple will update the OS to fix it but some changes can be seen in their newest device.

9. sneil2 macrumors member

sneil2

I too have the same problem, I've thought it was my router but thinking about it all my other apple products (macbook, iPhone's and iPad's) are still working great.

10. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

Not in my case. I'm currently using an updated AE and it's always drops the wifi signa all the time. I'm certainly a noob when it comes to Macs, but this is a software issue I think relating to the update to Lion. Surely Apple will have a patch figured out quickly.

11. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Def a Lion bug. I have a MacBook and an iMac, both started dropping wifi when I upgraded to Lion. I'm using a Time Capsule as my router, as well.
    If it drops, I simply click the icon and turn off the wifi and turn it back on. Annoying.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't have an AE to experiment with, but on my WRT54GS, I find that certain wireless channels can cause only specific devices to have issues. Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router? (assuming AE can do this)

13. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

No idea how to do this. My airport utility is very basic and doesn't offer any options.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I've been keeping an eye on my computer for this issue and so far have had no problem.

I have a brand new iMac came with 10.7.3

I wonder if those having the problem upgraded from a previous version?

I did not have an issue with the MBP that I had where I upgraded via a clean install.

I will add that the router here is a Linksys/Cisco unit.

15. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

Good news! Check Software Update! The answer to your problem is now there... :)

16. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

I even checked about 10 minutes before you posted this and there was nothing there. I checked again this morning and there it was. It's downloaded and on my iMac. I booted up the mbp also and there were no updates for it so I'm hoping this resolves this issue for me and everyone else. So far, while it has to pick up the wifi again after going to sleep, it is no longer losing the network connection which is an improvement.

Thanks for posting the update!

17. leman macrumors 604

The WiFi update made the thing only much worse for me, now the WiFi is unusable. Funny fact:the update didn't install any new drivers (driver versions are the same as pre-update).

BTW, can we keep this discussion in ONE thread please, right now there are like 6 of them...