Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
I have set wi-fi to Share the Air (free strong web access in area). Have all bars. When I go to a web page via safari or weather or stock, the wi-fi signal goes off and is replaced by slower edge E. It had worked fine for days. I tried to reset network settings and restart. I went to airplane mode, turned off and on and wi-fi signal reappeared but when I selected the wi-fi, and went to safari the edge replaced the wi-fi signal. Please assist. TY

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
had the same problem...

Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar problem with my home network.

First question: is the network open or private? Simple way to tell is if there is a lock icon next to it when attepting to connect manually through settings. Second question: If it is private, is it WPA or WEP? If WEP (and this was initially my problem) make sure you have your password type set correctly. After you enter your password, go back into the advanced settings of that connection and make sure your password type is set to the proper type (most likely ASCii/Hex). This cleared up my problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.