Wi-Fi/router troubles

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Biscuit411, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Biscuit411 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

We are a multi-wireless home (Wii, iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S) on an older Linksys Wireless G 2.4GHz router. All the devices work well - except for my wife's 3GS. It will show full wireless strength, but often won't connect. We've tried all the Googled tricks we could find, but not much helped. Apple even replaced the phone awhile back.

Could it be the router? If so, any recommendations for a replacement? We don't need anything fancy, but don't want a Wal-Mart replacement either.

If not the router, any other ideas to help remedy this problem?

2. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Does it work when nobody else is connected?

3. normanbates macrumors regular

I concur with moonman239, your router could have a maximum connection allowance (usually works on a first come first serve basis).

It could also be that the MAC address of the iPhone is being blocked by the router.

If you have access to someone else's youter try connecting to that, if it won't it's probably your iPhone, if it does it's your router. I'd recommend a NetGear router, everyone I've had of those has been 100% perfect (don't get a Belkin, they're *****)

4. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Yes. I guess some Apple Geniuses know more about Apple products than they do third-party products. I'm surprised the geniuses haven't considered the possibility of the router having something to do with the problem.

5. No5tromo macrumors regular

No5tromo

Yes it could definitely be the router. I just resolved a similar problem on my 3Gs by replacing the router.

Before you replace your router though, try updating to the latest firmware. Also try different wireless security types (WPA and WPA2 are the best but also try disabling all wireless security and see if the problem still persists, if the latter solves the problem then it means that it's time for a new router that doesn't mess up the encryption). You can also try to change the wireless channels (try 1,6 and 11) and see if one of these makes the problem go away.

This is the best advice I could give you out of my experience in my odyssey to resolve my problem. In my case, it was the security/encryption issue and I actually ended up using a Wall-Mart type router instead of my Netgear (no Wall-Mart where I live, it's an ISP giveaway though). Works great so far.

P.S. If disabling the wireless security solves your problem, you can leave it how it is and set up a wireless Access List using the MAC addresses of the devices that need to be online. The only negative about this method is that there is no encryption going on and your data is vulnerable if there happen to be hackers around your house.

6. Biscuit411 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It does seem to do better when it's the only device connected. I'll do an 'official' test over the next day or two and see what happens. If I can keep my kids of the Wii and iPod touch long enough...

In regards to changing security preferences: excuse my ignorance, but as along as we know the password it shouldn't screw anything up right? My wife can't afford to not have internet access on her work laptop.

7. No5tromo macrumors regular

No5tromo

As long as you have exclusive access to your router settings, you are the one who sets, changes or disables the password. Even if you forget it you can still find it in the router settings. What type of wireless security do you use now? (if you are using windows, find the network icon in the notification area -looks like a signal strength scale-, click on it, then right click on your network name and choose properties, you can find it under the tab "security")
    And also what kind of router do you have?

8. Biscuit411 thread starter macrumors regular

My router is a Linksys Wireless G 2.4GHz. I don't know the security off the top of my head. I'll check later and post back.

9. Biscuit411 thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like its our old router. I'll be picking up a Netgear one soon. Not sure which model though...