All iPads Wi-Fi signal strength variation across iOS devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by grayb0y, Jun 6, 2013.

1. grayb0y macrumors newbie

All,

I'm currently in possession of the following iOS devices.

1. iPad 3 LTE
    2. iPad Mini Wi-Fi
    3. iPhone 4S

All three perform flawlessly when around conventional Wi-Fi networks. Lately, however, I've found myself in an area with quite poor Wi-Fi coverage. I've noticed that the iPad 3 seems to easily outperform the Mini and the iPhone when it comes to signal strength/speed on a weaker Wi-Fi signal. My initial hypothesis is that the LTE plastic "cutout" on the back of the iPad 3 helps with signal reception and/or the larger surface area of the full-size iPad helps to boost its signal reception capabilities.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I'm curious if someone out there has a better technical explanation, or any advice/experience with boosting signal to iOS devices in weak Wi-Fi coverage.

Thanks for your time.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is a slightly better WiFi antenna in the 3G/LTE version of iPads as opposed to the WiFi only versions. The iPad also has a slightly more powerful antenna due to there being more for it than on the iPhone.

3. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 and notice that the iPad performs better on WiFi than the iPhone. I guess there is more room for a better antenna and beefier electronics. The same goes for the MBP which outperforms either of them.

4. tazz3 macrumors regular

I get full bars wifi all over my home with the ipad4