Wi-Fi Sync and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LintHart, Aug 7, 2010.

1. LintHart macrumors newbie

Hi guys

just wondering if anyone can confirm that the Wi-Fi Sync app in cydia works on the new iPhone 4 and if it is able to run in the background either natively or through backgrounder?

id love to be able to put syncing in the background during those super long syncs so i can still use my phone and not have to worry about getting a call that kills the sync

cheers

Linton

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

supposedly the developer stopped supporting the app, and hasnt been heard from since the last update.

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Wow that is sad to hear! Last I heard he was working on making it work over 3G.........sad to hear that it isn't going forward.

4. celticpride678

Can I ask where you're getting your information? He's tweeting every day about the next version of Wi-Fi Sync, which is coming out soon:

http://twitter.com/flukes1

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Seriously guys, it took me literally 10 seconds to do a google search for 'WifiSync', find the developers twitter account and see this post:

Do you guys not know how to use the internet?

It does work on the iPhone 4, and you don't want it backgrounded. iTunes needs to take over the phone to do a sync if you don't want errors.

6. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

was reading on multiple sites that it wasn't being done, but no official word was from the developer I suppose. i shouldnt be reading reviews on it because people were saying they were disappointed on how an update wasn't coming so I just gave up on searching for answers, never really followed it until this jailbreak. i would definitely like to try this, although i like syncing with the cable too.

7. ichiban06 macrumors regular

works fine on my Iphone 4 and Macbook. I like his app because I can sync without having the Iphone charge every time its plugged in with the USB Cable, especially when the battery is at 80% or more.

8. nealh macrumors 6502

has anyone been able to turn off wi-fi and connect usb cable to sync and do a backup? I can perform a back-up at all. Really hate to have to uninstall each time I want to back-up my iphone 4

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Also, it must be removed in order to do an iTunes restore.

I'm not bashing it in any way, just trying to make posters aware of some facts.

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

I can't get my wi-fi sync to work. I don't have any firewall or anti-virus programs set up (I have a mac), I tried reset pairing, reinstalls of the desktop app and iphone but the phone app keeps saying "searching for computer." can someone help? I think it might be my router.

thanks in advance.

11. nealh macrumors 6502

The windows program or both wifi sync program on the iphone and the PC program

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sorry, I don't know the specifics. Seems when i read about it they said remove both, but just not sure :(

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

The latest version works fine but does not support background syncing. You also need to install the Helper App into your Mac or PC.

Warning for Mac users!!!
    If you ever need to restore your iDevice, you have to uninstall the Helper App first. If you do not, the restore process will hang indefinitely.

14. xraytech macrumors 68020

Back-Up works fine.

15. nealh macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help.
    Xraytech- wish I could say it works. I can use USB at all for backup or sync on mybwin 7 64 bit setup

16. xraytech macrumors 68020

Oh!!!

You're running Windows 7!!!

Sorry dude, cant' help you there. Works just fine on my OSX.

17. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Work fine for me with my I-4 and Windows 7 64bit Ultimate without turning anything off. I can sync with the cable and I can sync wirelessly over Wi-Fi without the cable.

The only problem I am having is on rare occasion the wireless connection drops or times out before syncing is complete.

18. nealh macrumors 6502

do you get any error messages in itunes? can you backup up the iphone too?

19. SpaceEdge macrumors member

Might be a dumb question on my part but did you disable device backups in the settings ?

And I'm also using it on the iPhone 4 with OSX and it works perfectly I can sync via USB also with no problems.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Was just looking at flukes1 twitter and saw this post.

"To clarify: Wi-Fi Sync 2.0 will be free update in Cydia. Sync over 3G will cost one-off $5 fee. It'll also work from *other* wi-fi networks!"

So to upgrade to 2.0 will be free for everyone who already purchased Wi-Fi Sync but to get the Sync over 3G option we will have to pay an additional $5. Will the syncing from "other" wi-fi networks be included with the free update or the $5 update?

Anyone have any clarification on this?

21. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

No the syncing from other Wifi networks will be part of the $5 update. Syncing over 3G/other Wifi networks will require the app to connect to his server, which connects you to the client running on your computer.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Thanks. Well worth an extra $5 IMO.

23. newrazr macrumors member

Is it possible to initiate the sync from the iphone if I have iTunes running on my computer?

24. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

i was unaware we were unable to sync from other wifi networks atm, having never tried. very important feature!

25. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

the thing is my computer is a laptop sooooo idk about 3g and other wifi networks. also how would you manage what to sync unless your near your computer? i guess a basic sync but.....