Wi-Fi Sync, any updates?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by globalist, Mar 15, 2011.

1. globalist macrumors 6502a

OK, so what's up with this Wi-Fi Sync crapp?

I bought it in October 2010 for 10 ungodly bucks and it didn't work on my Win7 PC. The dev guy promised an update for December but it was never released. He must be a millionaire by now, having scammed thousands of users, and Saurik is still selling this crap on Cydia? WTF??

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Author is struggling to even maintain/get the beta on OS X to work, it seems to run piss poor if you read the tweets he's getting and if you ask me, I think he's in way too deep water and the app won't survive. Refund? Hardly.

3. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Agreed, Wi-Fi Sync has been a disaster. It never worked properly for me and I haven't used it since about two weeks from its initial launch. I'd like my $10 back plus interest but not gonna happen. I agree author seems clueless and other than the occasional "promise" via Twitter nothing has surfaced since a small fix to the original 1.x release. Very disappointing indeed.

4. wake8260 macrumors member

Same here. Waste of $10 and never worked for me once.

5. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just checked the Wi-Fi Sync package in Cydia Store and there's an option to "upgrade to Remote Sync"... wtf does that do? I'm not spending any more money on this, just curious.

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

This is the best part and where stuff really goes all wrong... instead of delivering wifi-sync properly the dude goes on a walk-about and tries to implement functionality to sync over 3G.

I mean, for crying out loud - that's like selling you a Word processor but instead of giving you letters he tries and sell you a package, which enables ******** numbers!! :mad:

7. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

OMG! And I guess the very best part is you cannot know what the upgrade package does until you actually make the purchase?

8. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Oh, we can be pretty sure it won't do what it says on the tin - "sync your iPhone over 3G"

I'm normally a quite understanding customer but this situation reminds me of an effing Monty Python sketch. I for one will now try and get a refund

9. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I meant is I could not see any description to that effect, I was only lead to confirm the purchase via PayPal which I refused. And searching for a standalone "Remote Sync" package in Cydia yielded no results so I had no idea what it was supposed to do. How it actually does what it advetises (wherever that may be found) to do is of course another story. :D

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

After I purchased it many months ago and discovered it was unsupported CRAPware and after contacting Saurik/Cydia with zero response I disputed the $10 payment with Amazon Payments and had a refund in 3 days. I still have an "open support ticket" from last OCTOBER with the so-called dev on his "non-support" site. I complained so much he finally locked me out. I would suggest anyone who recently purchased it to simply file a dispute with Amazon Payments. It seems he's just some young kid who may be a smart programmer but hasn't the slightest idea on how to treat customers or how to run a business.

11. Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

I use wifisync and it works fine (1.0 and beta as well).

12. globalist, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought this via PayPal, any pointers how to dispute through there?

edit: I tried via PayPal and it immediately closed my dispute about this, not really sure why. "This dispute closed because it was opened for more than 45 days after the transaction date or did not meet other filing criteria." I suspect it's the former, if so I'm bummed. If it's the latter then I'm bummed as well becayse there's no way to file another dispute for an already disputed (and closed-as-disputed) transaction. Grrrr....

13. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Wow guys, let's keep it in perspective here. I know the small denomination app prices thing has sort of warped everyone's perception of value but good god, do you hear yourselves? We're talking about ten dollars here. It's hardly worth losing sleep over. And I'm not some apathetic rich guy either, I'm a low-wage college student like most people here. But come on, "I want a refund plus interest"? "Can somebody help me file a chargeback"? Really guys? 10 bucks is like a fast food cheeseburger meal for one. I've lost more than that on scams and cheap products in my life more times than I can count. Just move on. Enjoy life a bit. :)

14. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Of course it's not about the $, it's the freaking bad behavior of not delivering on even one of his promises that pisses me off. I'm sure that if he went on this board, just like Filippo Bigarella did for Springtomize, we could at least ventilate a bit and have a discussion about it. Now communication is down to 140 char tweets with additional promises - stuff we've heard since November.

Code:
    [B]@flukes1 Greg Hughes[/B]
    @def_fred Remote Sync has been done for quite some time, I enabled it to allow for testing. Stable release is on the way.

50 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply 

15. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It has little or nothing to do with the money. 9 times out of 10 when I purchase something from Cydia, it does what it's purported to do, and if there are issues the dev figures it out and updates the application.

In this case, the dev has a great idea but is obviously in over his head. He has never been able to stabilize a release on any platform (OSX or Windows) and many of us spent money with the promise of an update "soon". If this business was mot being conducted in the realm of jailbreak applications, the company would have been sued out of business long ago.

I too believe this is probably some pimply-faced kid that just can't deliver what he has promised. That is the issue, not money.

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

17. vanillagorilla macrumors newbie

+1.

I have never had a major problem with this app, and I find it very useful. Maybe once every 15-20 syncs, I have to re-pair my device, but aside from that, it has been great. I sync my iPhone and iPad to the same iTunes account with very few problems, if any.

Anybody have any insight as to why it works for some and not for others?

FTR:

OS- 10.6.6
    iOS- 4.2 (iPhone4)
    iTunes- 10.2.1

18. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess it works for Mac and doesn't for Win, although I've heard quite a few Mac complainers as well.

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I'm annoyed I paid 10 dollars for something that never worked but I'll get over it. What pisses me off is that it has been known not to work for a long time and has not been pulled from cydia.

People are still being suckered into this and keeping it for sale when it doesn't work is a scam. May not have started as one but that is what it is now.

20. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Add me to the list of people who paid 9.99 for an app that won't work. I have attempted to contact the developer to no response. Really frustrating. I'm willing to pay the $, but not for a product that doesn't work.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

should have done a search for this thread and others like it before spending the money.

Anyways wi-fi sync has always worked well for me, I had problems at first with iTunes recognizing the phone when I had iTunes open then clicked the app on the phone.... but then I just clicked "open itunes when this phone is connected" closed iTunes and just launched wi-fi sync on the phone... iTunes then opens and the phone starts syncing. works every time.

22. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BS. Saurik is still selling this on the Cydia store as if nothing happened and it also has an endorsement from Wired or some such on there.

23. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell