Wi-Fi sync - iTunes 10.7, iOS 6.0.1, OS X 10.8.2

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by LxHunter, Nov 5, 2012.

1. LxHunter, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

LxHunter macrumors 6502

After installing iOS 6.0.1 Wi-Fi sync stopped working. And, when I disconnected my iPhone from the USB it would disappear from iTunes
    I tried a solution I found in the Apple furums and it worked:

I downloaded a free app called Remote from Apple, on my iPhone. I then turned on Home Sharing in iTunes. Since then (many weeks ago), I have had no trouble using wi-fi sync with either my iPhone or iPad.

UPDATE: worked once then failed.

I give up - will wait for iTunes and iOS updates

2. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

I've had the exact same problem since upgrading from 5.1.1 to iOS 6.

I've read all sorts of tricks that are supposed to fix the issue (ie. in Windows, you go into the Services menu, disable Apple Mobile Device, then close iTunes, then re-enable Apple Mobile Device, and finally re-open iTunes) and those tricks seems to work ONCE, but after be able to do one wi-fi sync, it stops working again until I go through the trick again.

Another such trick is I plug the iPhone into my computer and then in iTunes, I uncheck the "Sync with this iPhone over wi-fi" option, sync the phone (via USB), then recheck the "Sync with this iPhone over wi-fi" option and sync the phone again. After I do that, I can unplug my iPhone from the computer and the wi-fi sync will work again. But as with the first trick, it works ONCE and then wi-fi sync is broken until I go through one of these tricks again.

The point is that Apple needs to fix the wi-fi sync. iOS 6 messed it up and judging from all the comments I've read online, quite a few people are experiencing this bug.

Can anyone with iOS 6.1 comment on whether or not that changed anything? Because 6.0.1 didn't.

3. iTalk macrumors member

OP - which iPhone are you using? I bought the iPhone 5 and I am wifi syncing ~1300 lossless music files + ~ 30 photos right now as I type. It has worked for me so far via home wifi as well as 4G wifi tethering (my mid-2009 MBP is tethered to the iphone right now)

4. chipfiev macrumors member

Reboot your router.

I was also having some real issues when trying to sync my iPhone over wifi with iOS 6.0.1. I had issues with an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5 and my old iPhone 4. They would never been seen by iTunes, even after doing a wired sync and unplugging the device.

After searching for help online, I found an Apple support bulletin that said to reboot the router. I had no belief that would work but, after trying it, I haven't had any issues at all.

So, if you haven't rebooted your router yet, I'd suggest giving that a try.

5. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yes rebooting your router works - However the following day I check and my phone has not synced again, so I need to reboot again. Redonkulous! :mad::mad::mad:

6. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Never had any problems with any of my devices my iPad and iPhone both fully updated no problems at all