Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wi-fi sync vs Wired sync, which is faster for you?

• Wi-fi

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Wired

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wi-fi Sync is very fast. How many people have found it to be much faster than wired sync?

With USB you can transfer information up-to 480mbps, with WiFi under the best reception your max transfer rate is only 300mbps

Wired will always be faster.

Same applies to your computer if you were to plug in into your modem directly, using Ethernet gives you up-to 1 Gigabyte of transfer rate, WiFi again only 300mbps (1/3 of the Ethernet speed).

WiFi sync is more convenient, but I wouldn't say faster.

paxxxor

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Brisbane
With USB you can transfer information up-to 480mbps, with WiFi under the best reception your max transfer rate is only 300mbps

Wired will always be faster.

Same applies to your computer if you were to plug in into your modem directly, using Ethernet gives you up-to 1 Gigabyte of transfer rate, WiFi again only 300mbps (1/3 of the Ethernet speed).

WiFi sync is more convenient, but I wouldn't say faster.

True,

Im definitely sticking with wired.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
I know it's decadent, but I'll wirelessly sync from bed in the morning. Good to wake up with the alarm, check news, then download the nights downloaded podcasts to the iphone for my commute.
No need to hook it up to the computer first thing.

Just another tick in the box to move from desktop Mac to MediaBox/itunes server

codelode84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Okay I take it back the Wi-fi is slower but it isn't slower by much. Most of the difference is between finding the Ipad on the network other than that they are only a second or two off. That is pretty bad ax if you ask me. It will be sync all of the time in the evening anyway, I love this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.