Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Ok so here is the situation...

I was trying to access my home networks Wi-Fi from my iPhone and when asked to provide the WEP password, it told me everytime it was incorrect, even though it was the one provided upon installation.

So, I decided to go into the settings and disable the password protection for the network. Once I did that, I was able to access Wi-Fi on my iPhone but now my Mac won't connect to the network via my wireless router!

Anyone network geniuses here that might be able to provide any insight?

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Well documented problem likely...

Ok so here is the situation...

I was trying to access my home networks Wi-Fi from my iPhone and when asked to provide the WEP password, it told me everytime it was incorrect, even though it was the one provided upon installation.

So, I decided to go into the settings and disable the password protection for the network. Once I did that, I was able to access Wi-Fi on my iPhone but now my Mac won't connect to the network via my wireless router!

Anyone network geniuses here that might be able to provide any insight?

Odds are you are selecting the wrong type of WEP password when entering it on the iphone. Also, double check your password. 1's and l's and o's and 0's can be mistaken for each other.

There are two choices - passphrase and asciihex. If you enter your key, does it look like 0xxx00x0x (asciihex) or is it a word or phrase you selected (passphrase)? Whatever it is, on your ipod screen when entering the password in settings , you'll see a selection box regarding the password type. Be sure the right type is selected.

In addition, also see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305715

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.