Wich 1To Hard Drive for mac pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chromatronic, Dec 27, 2008.

1. chromatronic macrumors member

Hello, iam gonna order soon 3 hard drives for my mac pro and i wonder wich are good...
    I would like to take 3 HD of 500go, 750go or 1To... depending on wich seem the more solid and reliable to be Used every day withouty failure for at least 3 years...
    I know anything can happen with HD but just if you read about some DD being more solid, or some that fail often... please share your knowledge :)
    Iam a little afraid of those Samsung F1 because of the density or information...
    Some pleoples say Seagate are now less good than before and the waranty is gonna be or 3 years instead of 5 starting january..
    What about Western digital ?
    is it more dangerous to use 1 To drives compared to 500 Go ?
    Is there some peoples who had problems with them ?
    is there some website about that ?

Thanks a lot
    :)

2. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

3. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Thanks for being so helpful. :/

I have 2 Samsung 1TB F1 drive in my MP and I plan to replace my other 2 with the same; they're very quiet and very fast and by far the coolest (temp) of my 3 brands installed.

Right now they're setup as a mirrored RAID so they have a combined capacity of just the 1TB, but as soon as I buy a Firewire 800 1TB External for real backup (not just duplicate information) I'll put them in a 2GB Striped RAID and I expect it to move data very very quickly.

4. chromatronic thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your opinion ^_^
    i was afraid that being "new" type or hard drive (more information on each disk) it might be dangerous... or not yet working perfectly...
    but for you it seem ok :) cool...

i was a little sorry for the other member who responded to me "**************************" lol
    seeing he is "newbie" to this site and allready have that attitude "dont ask stupid question, google by yourself... ! "
    annoying but funny at the same time... after all thats why we have a forum... to discuss and ask questions to each other... not Google...

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would get Hitachi drives because the technology in them used to be IBM. And IBM stuff is usually top-notch.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

And that just goes to show how any thread like this will probably not be worth much in the end with everyone's personal opinions on something as variable as hard drives-- since I would have said anything but Hitachi drives as they are the only brand that I have run into that have consistently failed! :D:rolleyes: Figures doesn't it? ;)