Wich SSD is best fot mac book pro 17" ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZaNGieD, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ZaNGieD macrumors newbie

Hi.

Im planning upgrade my macbook pro with an ssd of 240 GB.

I have see this two.

240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD 2.5

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Average Rating 4 out of 5 eggs4/5(19 reviews) Write a Review
    Scored 10/10 & Recommended Award- ThinkComputers

The second one it's cheap :).

Wich one do you recomend me ?
    Any other better, than those two?

Thx in advance and sorry for my english.

2. ZaNGieD thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

I'm rocking the agility at the moment. I picked it up for 120 after rebate. the vertex 3 along with a few other ssds are a bit quicker but the boost in performance is so insignificant in real life I couldn't justify the price difference.

4. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I would go with the Samsung 830 (I know not among your choices). It was just released, early reviews say it is the fastest drive on the market and its predecessor was very reliable. This drive continues the tradition of being Samsung throughout, unlike other manufacturers that seek a controller from here, NAND from there. This bodes well for reliability. Furthermore, Apple uses the Samsung 470 (PM 810) controller in the SSDs they ship within their computers. Eventually, they will use the 830 controller, presumably.

5. Meever macrumors 6502a

Samsung has awful customer service though. So be advised. If your ssd fries it's going to suck trying to get it replaced.

6. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

This was the ultimate factor in my decision to go with the Crucial M4. I was thinking about either the 470 or 830 series but after reading a little about Samsung's customer service I decided that the Crucial M4 is best overall in price, performance and customer service and got the 256GB. I'm still waiting for my new MBP to come before installing the drive but based on what I've read about it is pretty good.

7. greganpace macrumors regular

Is there such a thing as a SSD that is not compatible with a mac?

8. ZaNGieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx everyone for your answers.

No one has this one ?

240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD 2.5

Any opinions :).

Thx again.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

OWC has good customer service. Downside for me is that they are in the US.

10. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

But fortunately, Samsung has possibly the lowest incidence of frying SSDs. Good customer service won't be able to retrieve all your precious lost data.

From experience, Crucial does have good customer service. They would answer all my questions and never rush me off the phone.

11. RedneckBob macrumors newbie

Just go for it and be sure to report back any issues :D

Seriously, I believe most current generation SSDs work with 2010/2011 Macbook Pros. I did a good amount of research before I bought (OCZ Agility 3) and aside from the Crucial 512MB m4 SATA III running in a SATA II with old firmware, I didn't find much.

Mostly what I found was pure happiness due to the significant speed improvements.

12. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the OWC Extreme 6g. I had issues with it in the main bay of early 15" MBP. Tomorrow I will try it in latest 15" MBP. I don't anticipate any issues. (fingers crossed). FYI, had boot issues (couldn't find OS 70% of the time. EFI 2.2 was no help. Crazy fast when machine did boot. OWC has excellent customer service.

13. mjohnson1212 macrumors member

I have the 240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD in my early 2011 17" MBP.

It works fine since the 2.2 firmware update and is very fast.

You don't mention which 17" MBP you are talking about but if it is a new one (October 2011) then it should work fine.

If it's an older 17" then I'd look into cheaper SATA II SSDs if you want to save money since the machine can't do SATA III.