Wicked cool weather

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Feb 11, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So, I am snowed in at a hotel about 30 minutes away from my house (in the town I go to school at SIUC in, Carbondale) and I thought I would see who else has been having fun weather lately.

This morning at about 10:30 a.m. CST it started to sleet here, and it continuesdto sleet and spit snow for the rest of the day. By 4:00 p.m. you could pick up a handful of this stuff and it felt like cold sand, and when you dropped it the pieces remained separate (like sand) I had never seen that much sleet built up, walking through it felt like walking on the beach not walking through snow or ice. At this time my fiance and I knew there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell (pun, yes, hehe) we would make it home in one piece so we got a hotel room close to campus and are in for the count.

Well, about an hour ago (11:00 p.m. CST) I went to the window because I heard a strange sound on it and it is RAINING!!!!! Not snowing, not sleeting, RAINING!!! WTF?? It is 27 degrees and we have liquid precipitation coming down! We went outside and there is about an inch of solid ice on top of about 2-3 inches of sleet that feels like sand. Its crazy!!! Finally we got word that classes for tomorrow are canceled... 13 straight hours of precipitation, ah, I love Southern Illinois!!!

Anyone else having fun weather??

Attached Files:

2. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

shaddup :p

Weather here in Rolla, Missouri sucks too. After scraping my car for 20 minutes and not making any headway because the ice was so bloody thick, I threw in the towel, e-mailed the instructor for my 10:00 class and told her there is no way I could make it to class (we had a test today, she's making accommodations though since I know I'm not the only one) and called my manager and told her I couldn't make it in, which was fine because everyone else who was already at work was leaving due to the weather, so we worked from home.

The street in front of my house is a sheet of ice right now too, I could go ice skating if I wanted to. And I also learned why you don't wait until you run out of food to go grocery shopping. Fortunately, just like the mailman, Papa Johns delivers rain or shine, otherwise, I would be starving right now :D

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I haven't gone outside yet or gotten a good look of the snow (laying sick in bed :() but all city schools are closed (Columbus, OH) and looks like most in the suburbs too.