Wicked scratch on my iPhone screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by d_saum, Oct 16, 2007.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Dont ask what possessed me to use the word wicked, but I have a scratch on the screen of my iPhone and its driving me nuts. Im usually pretty good about taking care of my stuff and to be honest, I have NO idea where the scratch came from. I know I got while I was in the airport in California, but I have no idea what actually caused it. Any tips on how to clear up a scratch?

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes, travel to OZ and land a house on the wicked witch, that should prevent further wicked scratches although nice scratches may still appear....

Well there is not much that I have heard that can be done. You may be able to take it to a jeweler or an optrician (sp?). Either one may be able to fix it, for a cost...

3. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

So I went to the Apple store yesterday and the guy I talked to there had no clue. I mentioned the thing about the jeweler and he thought that might work. While searching around though, someone mentioned that there was some kind of coating in the glass.... is this true?

4. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Could Apple not give you a price for a repair? I wouldn't expect this to be covered by the warranty but I would have thought that a glass replacement would be a fairly common repair.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an anti-glare coating of some sort which might make it difficult to polish the scratch out.

Good luck,
    Craig.

6. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Why would you think repairing scratches on the screen should be covered by warranty? That isn't exactly a manufacturer defect.

7. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Have you misread my post by any chance? Try reading it again... :rolleyes:

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Did you drop it? Was it in the same pocket as a diamond?

9. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Update!!!!

I am in AWE! I really am. Ok... I was just going to live with the scratch, and/or eventually have a jeweler buff it out if possible, but a sequence of events took place today that justify this update....

The plastic on the Macbook in my sig has been cracking on the sides of the palm rests. On one side, its by the first USB port, and on the other, its half way down the palm rest between the keyboard and the front of the Macbook. So being that I had it sent in a while back, I figured I'd call Apple and see if they would fix it since the cracks were getting quite bad and pieces were starting to break off. So, after sitting on hold for about 30 minutes, I get through and they tell me that I have to bring it to a Mac Genius and let them make the decision. Ok... off I go.

I make an appointment online, and head on out. I get there with one person in front of me and have to wait about 10 minutes.. no biggie. (actually, the Apple store here in Charlotte was JAMMED with people... I swear walking halfway through the mall it looked like the busiest store in the place) They call my name and I step up to the counter, tell the guy about the plastic and he says "no problem, we can do that in store, but our guy is kinda busy so you'll have to pick it up tomorrow". At that point I was amazed and ecstatic and figured I'd ask him if he knew how to reset my battery. My Macbook was bought when they first came out.. so.. it's.... I dunno... a year and half old at least? So I ask Anthony (the Genius) "Hey man, is there a way to reset the batteries because mine doesnt hit the reserve and go to sleep, it just completely shuts the Macbook off, and I've done the Power management thing where you take the battery out and hold the power button for five seconds, but no luck" to which he replies, "Ok, I'll just give you a new battery". What???? Are you serious??? I am literally dumbfounded at this point. This is the kind of service that will keep me an Apple user forever.

In addition to that.. while he's typing the paperwork up, I say to him "can I ask one more question?" and says "sure, shoot". So I show him my iPhone and say "I dont know how I did it, but I put a pretty good scratch in the screen... is there anyway to get that out or fill it in???"

to my complete and utter amazement he tells me he'll give me a brand new phone. WTF???? is this some sort of joke? No company gives THIS good service unless you spend millions of dollars... right? So he then asks when the last time I sync'd the phone was and I tell him about a week ago. He then says that tomorrow when I come in to pick up the Macbook, Just to sync it right there and get the new iPhone. Amazing... truly amazing. So.. new iPhone + fixed Macbook = extremely HAPPY customer for life. :D

and yes... I am buying screen protectors ASAP!!!!

10. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Wow, thats amazing, I wish I would get geniuses like that, they wouldnt replace my bottom metal casing because it had buffs and scratches on it.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what store was this...i guess this is why walt witman couldn't fix my pb casing. :rolleyes:
    GLad u had a good day at the apple store, you try out leopard?

12. gotzero macrumors 68040

Wow! Congratulations on getting the service you deserve!

I took my constantly crashing iphone in for a store repair, and had to pay $200 for replacement refurb 4GB because my case had a couple of dents... I guess it is kind of luck of the draw, but I think I will formalize my complaint to apple seeing as how other members here were treated.

13. calvy macrumors 65816

It never hurts to ask. Unfortunately, my local Mac Genius is nowhere near this nice.

14. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I got my iPhone on iDay and carried it naked for a month. Babied it in my pocket wrapped in a microfiber cloth. I somehow got a small scratch on my screen - no idea how. Maybe a grain of sand got in my pocket. Anyway, I took it to the Apple store on another issue (weak speakerphone) and the replaced it on the spot.

Needless to say as soon as they gave me a new phone I put a screen protector on it. I'm getting tired of these "going naked and loving it" threads here. The screen is durable but any glass can and will eventually scratch. If you don't want a scuff on your screen slowly driving you crazy get a protector. Cheap peace of mind.

15. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

This was the store in Charlotte NC in the southpark mall. And yes, I tried out Leopard, and really liked it. Quicklook is amazing, stacks are pretty cool, and personally, I think the dock looks great. Im probably going to use my $100 credit from the iPhone to get Leopard today when I go to pick up my MB and the new iPhone.

It's a great feeling when you get great customer service (especially when I usually feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick). A few of my friends that I've told this story to have been teetering on switching, and this pushed one of them over the edge. ;)

16. Jaqen macrumors member

Ah, I live in NC too and I was at that store Saturday. You're right, it was jam packed. That was crazy. Went there to pick up Leopard. But I hate that mall... stuck up snobby area. :D

17. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

lol yeah... it is kinda stuck up and snobby.. but there are some hot ladies walking around that place. I usually park on the upper deck and go in through Nordstroms. They always have the guy or girl in there playing piano. On the way out the other day, just before I got on the escalator to go up, I saw a nice brown leather jacket so I figured I'd check it out and was expecting a few hundred dollar price tag. Lo and behold... it was $895.00!!!!! What the??? It better come with an iPhone for that price!

Speaking of which, I got the new iPhone, all nice and scratch free, and am about to sync it. And yes.... I DID buy the screen protectors along with a belkin cable for the car and OS X 10.5 using my $100.00 rebate so it only cost me about $75.00.

Good experience all the way round!!!!

18. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

About the battery issue: it's a known problem. Apple might ask if you've tried resetting pram and all that jazz, but if the sleep-without-warning issue persists, I believe under warranty Apple replaces MacBook batteries.

19. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I think its a chemical flashback of all the stuff that you've been smoking since 1980s that made you think that the Genius was saying all this :D:D

On a serious note, it's really great that you got a service like this. I haven't had a situation warranting a visit to a Mac Genius, but if I do, I really hope I get a guy like you. Good that you posted!

Do update us after all the work is done.

20. MicBook macrumors regular

I'm glad this all worked out for you the employees at Southpark are the nicest of any Apple store I've been in I am glad it is my home store in fact they are probably the nicest people in the whole mall :apple:

21. xela24678 macrumors regular

Scratch on my iphone

I want to fix the scratch on my iphone 4. Does any one know how to fix it without going to apple? :confused:

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant fix scratched glass unless you replace it.
    You should have put a screen protector.