Wide Angle Lens for Canon XS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by WoodrowCall, Feb 7, 2011.

1. WoodrowCall, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I'm looking at getting a wide angle lens for my Canon Rebel XS, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with the 35mm f/2 wide angle lens? I take my photography pretty seriously, but I don't have a fortune to spend. The lens is on Amazon right now for around $300, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it before I drop some money on it. Any help is appreciated! :D

[Edit] Before anybody gets mad, I have been searching the sites listed under the sticky, but haven't found it reviewed anywhere.

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

35mm on your Rebel (a crop body) isn't very wide at all. In fact it would be considered a "normal" lens (~50mm equivalent). What kind of subjects do you shoot that you intend to use this lens for?

3. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Right now I only have the kit lens that came with the camera, and I'd like a wide angle to landscapes and cityscapes. My concern for spending more is that the lens starts to cost more than the camera. Would it be a better idea to just stick with the kit lens until I upgrade the camera, or is it worth it to spend more on a "true" wide angle lens?

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

The kit lens covers (I think) 18-55mm

The 35mm is right in the middle of that, and is not what anyone would really define as wide-angle.

If you're finding your kit lens doesn't go wide enough, you might have to think about the 10-22mm lens, or replacing your kit lens with the 15-85mm lens. Other options are expensive++

From what you describe, I don't think the 35mm f/2 would be your best choice at all.

By the way -- don't worry about lenses costing more than the camera -- that's completely normal.

5. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

6. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

7. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Yes, I think the first two pictures are from the Sigma he rented, and the rest from the Canon 10-22 he bought.

8. Edge100 macrumors 68000

As it should be.

You may have picked the wrong hobby! ;)

9. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

:) Let me clarify what I meant. I guess I'm saying that I'm not sure if I should keep my XS and get lenses, but I think I'll reach the limitations of the camera. Conversely, I can save what I would be spending on lenses and upgrade the camera, then work on getting better lenses.

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Here is a link to DPReview that compares your camera to mine (XSi) and the XTi.

Digital Photography Review

Jason Beck uses your camera. The following link to POTD was done with the XS.

Faith and Love

Dale

11. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely stick it out with my XS and go with either the Sigma or Canon wide angle that was recommended. You guys have been extremely helpful. I'll keep checking and posting too, just so you all know I'm not a leech ;)

I'll have to look through my library and post a pic I've taken with my Rebel; I've been using my G11 a lot more since it's more portable, but the wife and I are taking a trip to Europe this summer and I'll be using the dlsr, so I need to re-familiarize myself!

Thanks again!

12. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Here's a sample pic taken with my XS, just so I feel like I'm contributing. It's my golden retriever Gus, my most-photographed subject.
    [​IMG]
    Gus Black Balsam by Jamie Roszel, on Flickr

13. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Given that the kit lens runs something like 18 to 55, if you are really looking for a wide angle, you might want to consider the EF 15mm f2.8. Personally, I love this lens. Not cheap, but for a truly wide angle view in a fast, sharp lens it's hard to beat.

[​IMG]

14. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Sigma lenses are fine, but keep this one in mind, because it's not only built like a tank, but is sharp and gives Canon's 10-22 a run for the money (please read the reviews on this lens):

Tokina 11-16mm f.2.8

15. jabbott macrumors 6502

I second that -- that Tokina looks like a winner. I currently shoot with the Canon 10-22mm but don't like the large amount of chromatic aberration in the corners... The Tokina seems to handle that somewhat better, and it has an f/2.8 fixed maximum aperture unlike Canon's f/3.5-4.5 variable maximum aperture. The image samples on Tokina's website for the 11-16mm are highly impressive as well (I would send a link but their website appears to be down right now).