Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Hi everyone!

I've been developing Call Blocking application for iPhone, and I'd like to know any thoughts about it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wideprotect-call-blocker/id1171024059

The main idea is blocking phone numbers using prefixes, so you can block entire area code, for example, or block prefix of your own number to prevent spammers spoofing your number.
The app is using CallKit features, and there is an iOS constraint about count of numbers to block, so now maximum is 20 millions numbers.

I hope that the app will be usefull for you!

Reactions: ZebraDude

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
New version (2.8) is published, now it allows adding prefixes without country code, and processes Contacts list even faster!

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
So this app would also ensure that I receive no LEGITIMATE calls from anyone around me either then?

Yes, if you want it and if you define needed prefixes.
As I know, there are some spammers, who is spoofing your own number (for example +1 222 333-4444) and making calls from numbers like +1 222 333-4440, +1 222 333 4448 etc. So you can define prefix '+1 222 333-44' to block them.
If you enable option 'But allow numbers from my Contacts', you will receive calls from known neighbors.

Reactions: ZebraDude

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
New version (3.0) is published several days ago, now it supports iOS 11's feature - blocking SMS/MMS from unknown senders. The app is marking them as spam for all prefixes, defined in the app.

AwayB4

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
New version (3.0) is published several days ago, now it supports iOS 11's feature - blocking SMS/MMS from unknown senders. The app is marking them as spam for all prefixes, defined in the app.

I thought to try your app because of the "prefix" ability. I will give a feedback soon...

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
Can it be set to block unknown caller or blocked caller I’d phone numbers?

This is one of the features the iPhone had.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, this app is blocking only incoming numbers from defined prefixes.
For blocking unknown callers please take a look at this link, probably it will help:
http://osxdaily.com/2016/11/10/block-unknown-callers-no-caller-id-iphone/
That would block quite a it more than actual "Unknown" or "No Caller ID" callers. Another approach, if it works, might be somewhat better for that:
If you are referring to people calling without showing a phone number, go into settings > phone > contact list > make a contact called "No caller ID" and set the number as 000-000-0000. After you do this, go into your phone app, find the new contact you made, click edit and then enable the block option.

Alps7

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
Hi everyone!

I've been developing Call Blocking application for iPhone, and I'd like to know any thoughts about it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wideprotect-call-blocker/id1171024059

The main idea is blocking phone numbers using prefixes, so you can block entire area code, for example, or block prefix of your own number to prevent spammers spoofing your number.
The app is using CallKit features, and there is an iOS constraint about count of numbers to block, so now maximum is 20 millions numbers.

I hope that the app will be usefull for you!
[doublepost=1517244317][/doublepost]Hi- I just purchased and setup your app to block one prefix (410) from Outlook SMS calendar notifications and it is not working as texts continue to arrive as of this morning.

Attachments

• 195EE460-18D3-41ED-B883-21AFD962218E.png
    195EE460-18D3-41ED-B883-21AFD962218E.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 530

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
[doublepost=1517244317][/doublepost]
Hi- I just purchased and setup your app to block one prefix (410) from Outlook SMS calendar notifications and it is not working as texts continue to arrive as of this morning.

Hi, could you check iPhone settings to be sure that you have enabled SMS blocking? It's under 'Settings' - 'Messages' - 'Unknown & Spam' (see attachments).
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1290.PNG
    IMG_1290.PNG
    296.4 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1291.PNG
    IMG_1291.PNG
    255.7 KB · Views: 518

Alps7

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
Hi, could you check iPhone settings to be sure that you have enabled SMS blocking? It's under 'Settings' - 'Messages' - 'Unknown & Spam' (see attachments).
Thanks!
I'm concerned about enabling as the warning states that verification codes and other personal/sensitive information will be shared. Is this required in order for your app to work?

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
I'm concerned about enabling as the warning states that verification codes and other personal/sensitive information will be shared. Is this required in order for your app to work?

You know, it's interesting warning from iOS, because in spite of the app internally has access to SMS text and sender number (to decide should it be blocked or not, for example by keywords in the text), it can't share this info at all - it can't save it to settings, it can't send it over Internet etc. It made testing a bit harder, but it's good for user privacy. :)
And yes, the app should be enabled here to work.

Alps7

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
You know, it's interesting warning from iOS, because in spite of the app internally has access to SMS text and sender number (to decide should it be blocked or not, for example by keywords in the text), it can't share this info at all - it can't save it to settings, it can't send it over Internet etc. It made testing a bit harder, but it's good for user privacy. :)
And yes, the app should be enabled here to work.
So I'm not interested in comprising my security/privacy. Would you issue a refund?

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
So I'm not interested in comprising my security/privacy. Would you issue a refund?

Probably I explained incorrectly... Don't worry, no one human can read your SMS/MMS, because it's not sent from device. Also my app is not analyzing text, only 'sender phone number'.

Anyway, unfortunately I have no technical ability to refund, but you can ask Apple to do it, take a look at this manual:
https://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I did have two calls come through from my blocked prefix a couple weeks ago. Not sure how, but it hasn't happened again since then. I like the app.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
I did have two calls come through from my blocked prefix a couple weeks ago. Not sure how, but it hasn't happened again since then. I like the app.

Thank you!

Calls may come through if you sometimes use DND mode (or DND while Driving) - in this case blocked calls appear silently on home screen and in 'Recent' list.
I have created bug report but still waiting for answer from Apple...

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
Thank you!

Calls may come through if you sometimes use DND mode (or DND while Driving) - in this case blocked calls appear silently on home screen and in 'Recent' list.
I have created bug report but still waiting for answer from Apple...

Thank you, I bet your right about that.

Alps7

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
App doesn't work to block SMS from Microsoft Outlook Calendar reminders.
[doublepost=1518048667][/doublepost]
Probably I explained incorrectly... Don't worry, no one human can read your SMS/MMS, because it's not sent from device. Also my app is not analyzing text, only 'sender phone number'.

Anyway, unfortunately I have no technical ability to refund, but you can ask Apple to do it, take a look at this manual:
https://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store
Confirmed your App does not work to block Microsoft Outlook calendar SMS reminders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.