Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
i0Nic said:
Thanks for the help, I've looked into this monitor and it looks quite good, however if I was going for a non-apple lcd I think I'll still stick with the Dell.

Dell is a bad move. Their monitors are made by Acer, re-branded and marked-up at least 25%, many times higher.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Demoman said:
Dell is a bad move. Their monitors are made by Acer, re-branded and marked-up at least 25%, many times higher.
Where did you get this? Show the proof. Because Engadget and Anandtech show that Apple and Dell use the exact same LG.Philips LCD, only with different backlights and enclosures, so in my opinion, Dell is most definitely a GREAT alternative to Apple.

gog

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
Go the Dell, I'm afraid.

I hate to say it but go the Dell. You won't regret it.
The only significant difference is that the ACD has a nicer enclosure. The Dell is a quality monitor though, with a better warrantee.
And really the dell is not that ugly, i was pleasantly surprised as was expecting it to be grotesque like most of what they make.
And you can spend the difference on a bluetooth mighty mouse, an apple bluetooth keyboard, an iCurve and maybe even partly the xbox. Now thats worth it.

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
xfiftyfour said:
Where did you get this? Show the proof. Because Engadget and Anandtech show that Apple and Dell use the exact same LG.Philips LCD, only with different backlights and enclosures, so in my opinion, Dell is most definitely a GREAT alternative to Apple.

Call up a distributor in the know, say CDW. In fact call my sales rep Michelle Mack 1 877 325-6151.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.