WideScreen Movies Appear Squished onto itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VashUG, Mar 16, 2008.

1. VashUG macrumors newbie

Ok i just got an Ipod Touch And i love it and all. I downloaded some videos in widescreen format, 608x256 to be exact, and when i import them into itunes it automatically squishes them to fit my itouch and it looks terrible.

now i downloaded a free software called PQDVD for iphones/touchs and it allowed me to clip off a little bit of the sides so it doesnt need to squish it
    >[_]< like that BUT! i find out later that it only converts 5 minutes of the video... well im pretty pissed after that. so im wondering what to do now, i really want to find a way to do this and ive been looking for a solution for a couple of days now...

what i'd really like to do is find a software or somthing that allows me to add black bars ontop and bottom to make up for those pixels... like you would see on a widescreen movie on a normal TV basically...

oh and im running with Windows O/S

Here is a Picture of whats happening when i put the normal movie into itunes
    [​IMG]

The pic on the left Is the small 5 minutes that PQDVD let me convert clipping the little bit of the sides off and the Right picture is I simply put the mp4 into itunes with nothing else done to it.

Thanks

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

3. VashUG thread starter macrumors newbie

by software donig it you mean itunes? then yea i know that, cause thats where i took that screen shot.

The arrows dont seem to help at all, but ill try your program out thanks

4. VashUG thread starter macrumors newbie

**** dude it worked! thanks a bunch! it just adds the letterbox to it which is all i needed :D thank you thank you thank you!

Edit: ok looks like i spoke too soon its still showing up squished on my itouch ive messed with the settings and everything but its not working it shows up normal in itunes unlike before but when i put it in my itouch it squashes it.

5. VashUG thread starter macrumors newbie

ok for some reason its still squishing it onto the screen heres a pic

[​IMG]

im gunna try a couple more things but i still dont know why its doing it with this and a couple other movies like this.

Edit: nope nothings working... please help me if this has happened to you and you fixed it.

6. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

download iSquint, i have had no problems at all with this software, but i don't care as long as i can hear and see the picture lol

I recommend h264 encoding on the higher setting, or even go nuts!!!

7. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

8. kepner macrumors 6502

HandBrake for ripping DVDs, VisualHub for converting existing videos. You don't have to cut the sides of the video off, just leave it in its proper aspect ratio. When you're watching a video, the Touch allows you to toggle between filling the screen, or showing the whole picture.

9. VashUG thread starter macrumors newbie

ok well Isquint and VisualHub are MAC exclusive programs so i cant use those, and ill try Handbrake but it doesnt do video files just DVDs and im not sure if my drives can rip DVDs

the Touch doesnt let me change the size of the video automatically its doing it for no reason as far as i can tell, the arrows do nothing.

and its not even the programs im pretty sure its cause the videos play fine in itunes just when i put it in my itouch it squishes it for no reason i really dont know why.

10. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I have this problem too with DVDs made from wide angle holiday photos and made into a quick time movie. I'll follow your progress with interest!

11. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

it sounds like a specific problem with your itouch, mine doesn't have this problem.... try playing the vid in iTunes or another player. if it's alright there, then try resetting your itouch. if the problem still exists... well i guess you're outta luck:(.

12. VashUG thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what i was thinking. I imported the Mp4 into itunes and it squished it in there untill i used the Any Video Converter then it looks alright itunes, Even when im in my itouch looking at the thumbnail for the video the little picture looks fine then i touch it and it squishes it :( i have tryed resetting my itouch, taking the video off and shutting it down turning itunes off turning it back on and putting the video back on but nothing works :(

PS. when i try and use hardbrake to rip the DVD it gives me an error like this

"No titles found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non copyrighted source. please refer to the FAQ"

13. VashUG thread starter macrumors newbie

im gunna try the videos on my brothers itouch and see if it works, if it does then somthing is different in mine. i really dont want to restore it because its jailbroken and i have a ton of stuff on it so i guess i'll just have to deal with it, it only does it with these movies, i have ATHF the movie on there and it plays find no stretching or squishing its weird.