Widescreen setting not working when playing video on TV

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badlydrawnboy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

After upgrading to iOS 4 and iPhone 4, the widescreen button (on/off) setting no longer has any effect on videos played on my TV. I'm using the exact same Apple cable I was using before, and the same TV. I'm playing widescreen content rented from the iTunes store. But regardless of whether the widescreen switch is on or off, it plays in 4:3 on my TV. This looks terrible and distorted.

I've already sold my 3GS, so I can't determine whether the problem is iOS4 or the iPhone 4. I'm using the Apple Composite AV cable, which is supposed to be compatible with iPhone 4.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? I have updated to 4.0.1.

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on your TV?

3. owmygulay macrumors member

I was thinking about getting one of those cables. Is it as easy as plugging in the cable and plugging it into the TV? Then you just use the ipod app to play the movies?

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This. It's a completely different device so you might need to fiddle with it.

5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

My TV is old and pretty simple. I've never had to fiddle with the controls in the past. I looked in the menus and didn't see any way to adjust the aspect ratio. With the 3G and 3GS, I simply connected the iPhone using the Composite AV cable and it automatically played in widescreen - providing the widescreen setting was turned on in the preferences.

So none of you are having this problem?