Widespread reception problem aside, is there something wrong with my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Jul 6, 2010.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

I got an iPhone 4 on launch day. Like many I've noticed that when I grip the phone in my left hand in certain geographical locations without a bumper, the signal drops. I've dropped a call twice because of it. However, adding the bumper pretty much took care of that problem.

Now onto what I think could be my problem. At home I have an AT&T 3G Microcell. When I had my 3GS it worked beautifully. I had 5 bars throughout my condo and never had call quality problems. Now, with my iPhone 4 (even with bumper) the signal bars go up and down like crazy. I thought that perhaps it was just the signal readout that Apple will be fixing in their update. However, I was on a lengthy phone conversation last night and put it on speaker phone, so I could monitor the signal without even holding the phone. It turns out it still did the signal fluctuation, and actually when it got down to 1 bar, the other person started breaking up. When signal went back up, they told me they couldn't hear me for a while. This tells me that it wasn't just a readout problem, it's a legit reception problem. Keep in mind that all this while I am sitting 6 feet from the Microcell. With my 3GS I was able to actually be quite a distance away, even outside, and maintain up to 4 bars without any sort of breakup.

Has anyone else here experienced this with their iPhone 4 and Microcell? Seems to be completely separate from the death grip problem.

Do you guys think I should go to the Apple Store for a replacement to see if I have better luck with it?

Thanks in advance.

2. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Yep, there's a thread of people that own that very same AT&T microcell and they have the same or very similar issues.

You're not alone.

As for the replacement, it can't hurt. Some people have had great success with the replacements they received, others have noticed exactly the same type of issues, sometimes worse, sometimes better. There is only one sure fire way to find out.

And if necessary, you replace it again. ;)

3. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I made an appointment for this afternoon. We'll see what happens.