Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I'm looking for a simple widget that'll do this. I want to have a button in the Notification Center that'll automatically start a timer counting down a pre-set amount of time.

Several times a day I have to set a timer that lasts for 3 hours 25 minutes, and timers that last 3 hours and 30 minutes. Doing it through timer apps uses a bunch of taps and steps that could all be cut out by a widget with pre-set durations.

So in the Notification Center I want one button that says "start counting down 3:30" and another that says "start counting down 3:25". So I could just swipe down, tap a timer to start it, then swipe up.

Anyone know of a widget like this?

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Would probably be easier asking Siri to, "Set timer for 3 hours 25 minutes."

Wouldn't work for several reasons. For starters, sometimes I need to run timers concurrently, and the iOS app can only run one at a time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There seems to be a timer widget Today Timer (Timer Widget) by R.P.A. Tech
https://appsto.re/us/anst2.i which can do some of what you are asking but I'm not sure if it can do multiple ones and basically ones that repeatedly become available daily.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
There seems to be a timer widget Today Timer (Timer Widget) by R.P.A. Tech
https://appsto.re/us/anst2.i which can do some of what you are asking but I'm not sure if it can do multiple ones and basically ones that repeatedly become available daily.

Thanks but that doesn't do what I want. If I have to type in the timer duration every time I want to start it, then it doesn't save me any steps over launching a regular timer app.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Spec it out on elance, someone will build it for you.

Interesting idea, but I highly doubt that anyone would create it for the 1.99 maximum that a simple timer like this is worth. If it doesn't already exist then someone would be smart to create it, because widgets are a brand spanking new app category, and a basic function like a pre-set time will surely get filled very soon, and whoever creates it first will get the first-mover advantage.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Interesting idea, but I highly doubt that anyone would create it for the 1.99 maximum that a simple timer like this is worth. If it doesn't already exist then someone would be smart to create it, because widgets are a brand spanking new app category, and a basic function like a pre-set time will surely get filled very soon, and whoever creates it first will get the first-mover advantage.

If you have a good idea and it doesn't exist, make it.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
That's why I mentioned elance.com :)

And that's why I mentioned that I doubt anyone would program an app for a one-time price of $1.99 ;)

Or you could learn Swift ;)

Hah, yeah, that would take about a million taps in order to wind up creating an app that saves me maybe 9 taps each day, which by my rough calculation means I'd have to use the app every single day for 305 years before it would start saving me more taps than I put in to create the app.

expendableboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Second

I'll second this idea.

Let me have 1 click timers and put a smile on my face.

(Emphasis on 1 click. Preconfigure once, and then 1 click from there on)

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
I've been looking for a one-tap multiple timer widget in the NC too. So far, Vidgets is kind of doing the job for me. It's not the prettiest NC widget, but it's free and works better than, say, Timeless (which inexplicably doesn't allow you to initiate a timer from the NC – just view running timers).

The issue with all NC timer widgets (for that matter, timer apps in general) is that their alerts can't be as intrusive as the native iOS clock app's timer. For important one-time alerts, I find that I still need to set a timer through Siri or Control Center.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
How about Toggl Timer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 203
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.