Widgets in the App Store

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by lke, Oct 17, 2014.

1. lke macrumors 6502a

Why Apple don't let developers sell or offer Widgets in the App Store?

When Apple release Widgets for Mac OS X you could see a lot of new widgets all the time, if Apple let developers sell or offer for free widgets in the app store I am sure that we will see new widgets more often and more developers would like to build better widgets.

2. Liam555 macrumors regular

Liam555

Widgets are a thing of the past. That's why it's disabled by default on OSX Yosemite. Personally I don't see the point of widgets, mainly now with the notification center apps.

3. deviant macrumors 65816

istat pro is still the best widget and NOTHING can replace it, and no, not even istat menus. it's just THAT sexy.. delivery status was a killer too, but i saw he made an app for that. and even a notification center widget. that's nice.

4. Pow! macrumors member

Pow!

MenuMeters here. iStat devs pissed me off again and again, not providing timely updates, then charging for same, providing a buggy product, then an iOS one that worked with your Mac, and then neutering it. MenuMeters is free and works on Yosemite. I haven't thought about iStat in years and am happier for it.

Having iStat in Notifications will likely be a drag on most people's systems, as the devs don't seem to care for maximizing performance of their performance-measuring tool.

On-topic: As for widgets, Apple explained that they can only be distributed by being bundled with an application. See here for more info: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/17/

"For starters, OS X Extensions come bundled with applications; they cannot be purchased or installed separately. Though they are distributed inside an application’s bundle, Extensions are not just applications launched in a special mode. They are separate, purpose-built binaries, with their own containers, code signatures, and entitlements. A single application may include multiple Extensions."

5. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

How can I disable it?

6. Pow! macrumors member

Pow!

Disable what, Notification Center?

Disable Dashboard: System Preferences->Mission Control->Dashboard Off

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Yup, Dashboard. Thanks.

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I'd prefer to disable Notification Center; I use Dashboard a LOT!