Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Can Dashboard Widgets be fully and professionally made in Dreamweaver without any .html and CSS knowledge? If not is there any software available to make Widgets without knowing CSS and .html programming?

I am interested in being a Widget developer but I know very little about all types of programming. (I just programmed my first AppleScript 2 days ago.) Even if there is a fast and easy way to learn how to program Widgets I will be interested in knowing so I can become a Dashboard Widget developer. Thanks to everyone in advance for for your responses. :)

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
this is a big fat no. well to a degree. see dashboard is based on WebKit, which is the HTML rendering engine/library that is based on KHTML (from konqueror) that is used in safari. extra bits were added that are non-standard. it simply won't work in dreamweaver which has it's own little html rendering tidbits (unless dreamweaver uses webkit and i just don't know about it). you can design a widget kinda in dreamweaver but in the end you'll need to learn to do it by hand. widgets are not just html and css, they're layed out using it, meaning the interface is done using html and css but the actual functionality is done using javascript/objective-c. so you can "design" the widget in a very unprofessional way, but you still have to know javascript to make it do anything.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Logik said:
this is a big fat no. well to a degree. see dashboard is based on WebKit, which is the HTML rendering engine/library that is based on KHTML (from konqueror) that is used in safari. extra bits were added that are non-standard. it simply won't work in dreamweaver which has it's own little html rendering tidbits (unless dreamweaver uses webkit and i just don't know about it). you can design a widget kinda in dreamweaver but in the end you'll need to learn to do it by hand. widgets are not just html and css, they're layed out using it, meaning the interface is done using html and css but the actual functionality is done using javascript/objective-c. so you can "design" the widget in a very unprofessional way, but you still have to know javascript to make it do anything.

Thanks for your knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.