Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bballers29

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
iOS 14 widgets look fine and I am sure they will evolve to become more useful over time, but I feel they would be more valuable displayed on the lock screen than the home screen. Correct me if I am wrong current Apple Watch owners, but there is a widget called "Up Next" which combines calendar and reminders into one handy widget for your watch. I would love an "Up Next" for iPhone on the lock screen. I would also love a weather widget.

I have the 2020 SE and there is so much empty space on the lock screen for pertinent information to be displayed without having to unlock my iPhone. Maybe Apple doesn't want widgets accessible on a user's lock screen due to privacy concerns? But I for one would not care if someone saw my upcoming events or reminders. And if there is a privacy concern, then the user does not have to enable this feature. Just a thought. iOS 14 is still cool!

phido

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
Just a quick swipe to the left and you're at the widget page from the lock screen. Lock screen for most people is actually occupied with notifications so not really that much room for widgets there.
That doesn’t work if I’ve put my most important widgets on the home screen. These won’t show up on the widget page from the lock screen.

Although swiping up to the home screen takes as much time as swiping to the left. Anyway I would like to not swipe at all to see my most important widgets.

Last edited:
Reactions: bballers29

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
That doesn’t work if I’ve put my most important widgets on the home screen. These won’t show up on the widget page from the lock screen.

Although swiping up to the home screen takes as much time as swiping to the left. Anyway I would like to not swipe at all to see my most important widgets.

And I like I said most people don't have an empty lock screen but have notifications there, so your proposal doesn't really work either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.