Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
Ok i know that "haxies" is not the best thing to do but one thing i love in osx is that even if there's not many customise options, you can do wonders with the terminal. So, about widgets. I ran a terminal command that made it able to get them off the dashboard and have them floating arround my screen. You can also do the same thing with Onyx. What i want to do though is to have them NOT on top of everything running, but just on desktop, so lets say an "always on bottom" thing. Can this be done in any way?

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Ok i know that "haxies" is not the best thing to do but one thing i love in osx is that even if there's not many customise options, you can do wonders with the terminal. So, about widgets. I ran a terminal command that made it able to get the off the dashboard and have them floating arround my screen. You can also do the same thing with Onyx. What i want to do though is to have them NOT on top of everything running, but just on desktop, so lets say an "always on bottom" thing. Can this be done in any way?

As far as I know, it's not possible.

However, you might want to check out Stattoo. It's a great app developed by the people who made Transmit, CandyBar etc ...

You can have widget-like stats right on your desktop that blend in really well (behind all windows if you prefer) ... incoming mail, appointments, disk space, weather, time, date, battery charge etc ...

http://www.panic.com/stattoo/

Just an alternative in case you were trying to get the clock / calendar / etc widget on your desktop.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
no thats not what i want :( thnx for your reply anyway

Which widget are you trying to get on your desktop if I may ask?

Maybe I can provide you with an alternative, in case no one else knows how to embed widgets behind other windows.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
not really sure, its just that i dont want to have extra stuff in my desktop by some extra application that must be running. I want to be able to move the current widgets

ps: eugh i just realised that windows 7 do this thing eugh eugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.