Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use widgets on your android device / iOS notification

• [Android] Yes. Lots of them (6+)

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • [Android] Yes. Quite a few (2-6)

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • [Android] Yes. But not many (1-2)

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • [Android] No

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • [iOS] Yes. Lots of them (6+)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • [iOS] Yes. Quite a few (2-6)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • [iOS] Yes. But not many (1-2)

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • [iOS] No

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
On Android, I typically use 3-4. On iOS, I presently have 10 activated, of which I regularly use maybe 7 of them. I know I'm in the minority here in this sub forum but I much prefer the iOS implementation since they're accessible everywhere, but that's just my preference.
What I like is that I can have as many widgets as I want on iOS, and they don't clutter up the home screen because they are hidden behind another screen. It's also quite easy to access them from the lock screen without needing to unlock my phone first. Handy when I want to view my step count (pedometer) or check my data usage (dataman).

I am curious as to how widgets work on Android. How would you manage them if you wanted 7-8 widgets on your phone?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Widgets are all about glanceable accessibility from the home pages. Weather on primary home and swipe left or right for gmail, hangouts, calendar, etc. Very convenient.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What I like is that I can have as many widgets as I want on iOS, and they don't clutter up the home screen because they are hidden behind another screen. It's also quite easy to access them from the lock screen without needing to unlock my phone first. Handy when I want to view my step count (pedometer) or check my data usage (dataman).

I am curious as to how widgets work on Android. How would you manage them if you wanted 7-8 widgets on your phone?
What you described is the very reason widgets are more useful on Android. I can have a weather widget on my home screen that is so easy for me to glance at whenever i want. No need to do anything. It has the weeks weather for me on the screen I spend most of my time on. Widgets do not clutter the screen on Android anymore than the icons you have on IOS.....except I can move the widgets and position them anywhere i want and in any order I want them to be in. You can't do that on IOS with icons so don't know where the cutter comment comes from. I have a Google search widget on my Nexus 6 that is waiting for me to speak "OK Google" and it will do just about anything i need it to do. No need to touch anything.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Same exists on Android. Many apps also allow widgets in the notification dropdown. And can be access on the lock screen the same. I myself feel weird calling them widgets though, I refer to them as app extensions.

I personally hate a cluttered notification dropdown.

Widgets come in many sizes and many can be resized. Just place them where you want, like furniture in a home. You can have one homescreen dedicated to one widget or multiple widgets on a home screen.

Whether it's cluttered or not depends on the user.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
On Android, I used mostly HD Widgets, Power Toggles, and a few others. I enjoy them on iOS a lot more though.

On my iPhone:

Launcher
Row 1 - Apple ID info in 1Password, Send a text message to my brother, Run my note Workflow, View the iCloud Documents Picker (Workflow), Upload the last photo I took to iCloud (Workflow)
Row 2 - Shortcuts to all my different tags in nvNotes
Row 3 - Timers for various things I have setup in Clepsydra

Swiptly
Post-it notes of just various lists of things

On my iPod:

Ecoute
Their Up Next today widget

Launcher
Using Ecoute's URL scheme for shortcuts to various things

Swiptly
For noting errors in my library, and a list of stuff from my MixRadio mixes

On my iPad:

Gerty
Add to current book widget

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I loved using widgets on my HTC One (M7) used one for weather, sports, calendar, contacts and a few others. Hate the way iOS handles them so I don't use them.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I never use them on my S3. I can't even remember the last time I looked at the available widgets.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I use 5 widgets

1) clock + weather widget. This is a habit from the old HTC clock widget days and I'll freely admit it is kind of superfluous. But I like the way it looks and it gives me a big touch target shortcut for setting my alarms when I am sleepy.

2) huge calendar widget in month view. This is important to me. My schedule is such that I need to plan my days on a weekly basis and it is very useful to see my entire month at a glance very quickly.

3) favorite contacts shortcut. I like not having to dive into contacts or the dialer to text or call my most frequent contact and I find this much cleaner than the iOS solution in multitasking.

4) google keep widget. The widget is mostly for grocery lists that I can see quickly using the widget.

5) google sound search widget to ID random songs I encounter. This is another example of an action I need to be able to access very quickly but don't use often enough to have a single app shortcut dedicated to it on my main screen. Its hard to describe but a app shortcut that is seldom used is very difficult to find quickly when you need it. A larger widget on a non-main screen is much easier and faster to find.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Power Widgets are amazing on my Note 3, they make several things so much smoother (insta turning on the wifi hotspot FTW). Also I have a widget that puts a really gorgeous calendar right on one of my homescreens, I just swipe left and it's there: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syncedsynapse.eventflowwidget

Widgets on iOS (iP6+ is my daily driver) are a completely different world I feel, because they're simply not there at first glance on the homescreen. And in any case no apps I use have any really well thought out and useful widgets. There's only a single one that is of any real use to me. This is a phone/address search app for my country (Sweden) which pulls up the search info from any phone number you currently have copied to memory. This is pretty handy - you select the number, choose copy and then just swipe down and you see who called.

Other than that, I'm quite unimpressed by iOS widgets so far.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
What I like is that I can have as many widgets as I want on iOS, and they don't clutter up the home screen because they are hidden behind another screen. It's also quite easy to access them from the lock screen without needing to unlock my phone first.

Android has that. I have some of 7 of mine in the pull down and accessible via the lock screen, 7 other larger ones I have spread out across 5 pages. Not cluttered at all. Main Page has Weather, a Julian Calender that links to my main calender and Rain Alarm. I have my Google Sound/Cards on page two, A nice handle email widget on Page 3, Page 4 is a gorgeous calender, page 5 is my Countdown list to various dates and events.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
On Android, I currently use two widgets.
- Agenda (Business Calendar 2)
- Weather (BBC Weather)

I like having this info at a glance on my main homescreen. Homescreen widgets are a key reason I use Android phones.

On iOS I don't use any widgets and have not been interested in exploring them. I think the main reason is I don't consider my iOS device (iPad mini) to be an information tool like my phone. I just use it for reading, web browsing, movies, and music.

Reactions: MRU

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
On iOS I use:

The yahoo weather widget ( I alternate between different weather widgets)

imore widget

Shifts (which shows my upcoming shifts)

MacID (to unlock my Mac with Touch ID on my iPhone)

PC lite calculator

Photo widget

Chrome

Team stream (football app)

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Can't live w/o that weather widget [ Beautiful Widgets ] ... and flash-light.. Other than that, eh.. but gotta have those!!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i have "widgets" on ios, but i really dont use them at all. some widgets that people like alot, like launcher for example, is nice to have but.. for me is useless. i tend to keep icons of apps i use daily on the dock. instead of pulling-scrolling -thing, it is much easier just to tap the icon on the dock or on the homescreen. until i can jb (not semi) or ios get real widgets, i dont feel they are as handy as on android. at first i kept alot of widgets but then i got frustrated of scrolling up and down and it looks abit messy too... im waiting the day when widgets works like they can be used on android.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.