Widgets

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Strom1, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

Which ones are worth downloading?and obviously the ones that say freeware are free?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I was unaware that there were shareware widgets...

My screen is 1440x900, so I have limited space. However, I find the MST3K widget to be amusing, and I have the larger of the Chuck Norris facts one. I have Mr. Alligator and Clockish... and the @beat clock... The rest of the ones that I use are Apple standard.

Can't wait to make use of my Mac Pro's displays. 3840x1200. That's some serious widget room.

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

Some are better than others. Were you interested in anything specific? Most widgets I have seen are free. I usually start at Apple's Dashboard Downloads when looking for a new one.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Widgets are usually free.

The one's worth downloading are all up to personal preferences. What do you use your system for, and what do you need snapshot glimpses of?

For example, here's a handy PHP function lookup widget. Useless for you if you don't do anything with PHP coding, but valuable for coders.

6. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

Thanks,wow there is a ton of widgets.

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I think most of the proprietary widgets are games. A couple good ones are the Mad Libs widget (for if you're bored) and the Leopard Hints widget. Assuming you have Leopard.

8. quintus314 macrumors newbie

Like someone said above, iStat pro gives you a good way to see what your computer is doing. After you download that, go to the iSlayer.com website (they make iStat) and get the iStat menus thingie. I've got it and love it. I have the temperature of the bottom of my computer sitting in my menubar! It's really cool! GO DASHB:apple:ARD!