Width of wrist matters not circumference! Report from try on (with pics)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by abluehaze, Apr 11, 2015.

1. abluehaze, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

abluehaze macrumors regular

I just got back from my try on and I was concerned that since I have pretty slim wrists that the 42 would be too large on me, after seeing and trying both sizes on in person I can confirm that they do appear much smaller in person that you imagine them to be from seeing them in pictures.

The 38 looked ridiculously small on me in person, the white sport 38 I tried on looked like a white bracelet with a large black gem on top. Even though my wrists are only approximately 158mm the 42 didn't look oversized on me because apparently my wrist width is adequate for the 42.

Morale of this story, don't make a judgement until you have had a try on. There really is no better way to tell what is going to work for you visually.

I tried on the 42 SS link bracelet (which was my favorite), the 38 white sport and the 42 mayonnaise loop. The mayonnaise loop was the most comfortable easily, it feels really great on the wrist cause it hugs it almost like fabric as well as the closing mechanism being magnetic which offers a very form fitting fit. I don't however like the look of the mayonnaise loop. The white sport does not look cheap as others have proclaimed, it's just that the stainless looks sooo much better.

I had pre-ordered a 42 white sport which I'll be canceling and instead ordering a 42 stainless. I had intended to go with the sport because I don't want to blow a ton of money on a watch that is likely to be updated in a year but the stainless link looked that good that I must have it.

Hope this can help someone else to make a decision as I hate making decisions myself and always find them difficult when faced with so many options. Go in for a try on though, it will resolve some questions for you, especially on face size.

In pictures the mayonnaise loop looks best on me because it was the most form fitting of all the watches but once I get the SS link sized it will look great I think.

Size DOES matter! ;)

158mm wrist circumference
    64-67mm wrist width (range in the area where the watches are in the images below)

42 SS link
    [​IMG]

38 white sport
    [​IMG]

42 Milanese (mayonnaise) loop
    [​IMG]

2. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

What I ordered.

185mm wrist / 65mm wide

3. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Not my favorite condiment but more delicious than the white sport.

4. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your wrist size is such that either looks fine so just go for the bigger one for the extra screen real estate.

6. abluehaze thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. The 38 just looked really small in person. I guess the issue with pictures is it's not like being there and getting the full perspective, pictures don't convey depth or the field of view our vision does.

7. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Dude, the mayo loop is sexy as hell. Thanks for the eye candy - can't wait to get mine!!

8. abluehaze thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the mayonnaise loop didn't appeal to me but I tried it on anyways cause she suggested it. The more I think about it the more i like it. It's just so comfortable, such a unique design and hugs the wrist so well. You're welcome btw. How long do you have to wait?

9. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

The 42mm looks good on you. I've preordered the 42mm SS White Sport band and I'm planning to add the Milanese loop and the metal link in the future

10. wbitsky macrumors member

Nice post.. Would you mind telling me the width of your wrist?

11. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

The white sports band looks like a Mayonnaise Loop. :D

12. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

Hopefully they can remove the curved zirconia rear in the next generation. I found that the 42mm fit my small wrists, but the curve made it suspend in the air and wobble around. If I had a slightly thicker wrist the strap would have held it down much better, but a flat surface would make the larger size more accessible to people.

13. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

You see, the size difference between the 38mm and 42mm looks absolutely nothing in those photos but when I was in the store on Friday the difference in reality was quite substantial

14. spytech macrumors regular

A post talking about the fact that width matters... but you don't post your width :D What's your wrist width, after all?

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually think both look good on you. I agree, it is the width of your wrist, not circumference.

16. kovey macrumors 6502a

Amazing.

17. abluehaze thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, true true. I no longer care since I tried them on in person but I will measure to help everyone else out. I was just going off what most others were saying on here which was circumference so I didn't bother to measure width.

18. spytech macrumors regular

Thank you. Every bit of help is needed as I cannot try it before I buy and I'm sure many people are on the same boat.

19. abluehaze thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, both watches look much smaller in person than they appear in photos. The 38mm even though it's only 4mm smaller looks very small in person at least on me.

It's all about proportions. The 38mm doesn't look that tiny in the cases, there's just really no way to tell how it's going to look on a person till they try it on.

20. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I'm one of the lucky ones... 4/24-5/8 for the watch + mayo
    4/29-5/12 for the sport band
    "May" for the classic buckle
    (yeah, I went overboard and ordered 2 additional bands)

21. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Good point on the width of the wrist vs. circumference.

People have posted pictures of 180mm wrists where the 38mm looks perfect. Others have posted pictures of 180mm wrists where the 38mm is way too small.

22. abluehaze, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

abluehaze thread starter macrumors regular

You're welcome and I totally understand, we don't all live near an Apple store. I just measured and right below the wrist bone it is 67mm so the range of where the watch is in the pictures is about 64-67mm.

I'll update the original post with width as well! Size matters! ;)

----------

Thanks, the mayo loop is a very cool band. Like I said it wasn't on my radar but after trying it on I'm seriously considering getting one.

23. kovey macrumors 6502a

Wrist width is such a weird thing to say. Your wrist is not a completely fixed size compared to your finger length. Some people wear their watch a little loose so it sits higher on their wrist/arm. The pictures that people post are are from a terrible perspective, up close with nothing to scale. If you really can't get a good enough idea from the 1:1 size printouts, just go to the store.

24. abluehaze thread starter macrumors regular

The printouts would be a good alternative to going to an Apple store and trying on. I hadn't messed with the printouts. If I didn't live in the bay area where there is a Apple store on every corner I would have.

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Talk about exaggeration! It's doesn't look like a "white bracket wth a gem on it" - how ridiculous! (UK meaning)