wierd Final cut pro X question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rdsii64, Jul 26, 2011.

1. rdsii64 macrumors regular

The other night I finished putting together an HD video. When I started the final encoding, Final cut pro x gave me the opion to farm out the rendering chors to other macs on my network ( I only have one for now) This sparked a question. Could I scrounge craigslist, ebay, or where ever, and get myself 4 or 5 used mac mini's hook them up to a gigabit switch and use them as a sort of ghetto rendering farm?

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

yes

3. RonsMac macrumors newbie

What would be faster: 4 minis or another mac pro? Have no experience with this and the money would be about the same. TIA.

4. rdsii64 thread starter macrumors regular

faster set up

Truth be told, I have no idea which would be a faster setup. What I do know is used mac mini's can be had for around 300. Less if I get lucky. A new mac pro is out of my price range, and used one close to 2000. so 4 mac mini's would set me back 1200 plus the kvm so I only have to buy one keyboard and use a spare mouse and monitor I have in a corner. (that is unless I can run a mac mini headless)

5. bluap84 macrumors 6502

that is not a bad idea. But sure you would need to get the latest mini with a good chip? But i can see where your coming from, i think it would be a wicked idea.

But when you think about it...my iMac is quad core with 12gb. Sure you will need a lot of minis to match that?

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Forget the ram, this is really only for the CPU. And who knows, surely 5 CPUs beats one quad? Especially if they're C2Ds... That's 10 cores...

7. bluap84 macrumors 6502

*jumps on ebay for mac minis*