wierd hard drive link speed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drich290195, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

why does it say under about my mac for the hard drive , link speed 3gb negotiated 1.5gb. its a early 2009 model surely if it supports sata 2 it should have come with a sata2 hard drive shouldnt it.

2. simsaladimbamba

Since even the fastest mobile HDDs cannot saturate S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) speeds, it is kind of unnecessary to put an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) HDD in there. I also have a 2009 MBP and put a Seagate Momentus XT and an SSD into it, both get Negotiated Link Speeds of 3 Gbit/s, but only the SSD offers more than 120 MB/s, and S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) can go up to 148 MB/s or so.

You can find out what your exact HDD is, using a freely available www search engine and the listed model in System Profiler, behind the "Model:" entry.

3. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

what i mean is im only getting sata 1 speeds out of my current drive yet the macbook supports sata 2

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, I understand, thus my recommendation to search for your HDD model and also the information, that while HDDs might be S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) or S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), they cannot even saturate the S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interface, thus making it almost pointless to have such slow HDDs (approx. 120 MB/s maximum for consumer HDDs, 2.5" S-ATA HDDs are even slower) on S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interface.
    S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) offers around 150 MB/s, thus it is faster than any HDD, thus S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) is pointless.
    It is late, maybe it is hard to understand, maybe I am too tired to properly explain.
    Anyway,

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Some SSD's can be flashed to disble auto-negotiation and work at 3.0GB/s. Not that you will notice the improvement...

The NForce SATA chipset in the 2009 Macbook isn't very good.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are fine. My 2008 Macbook Pro was the same. The computer hardware supported and showed the SATA II connection you are seeing, but the factory hard drive was only a SATA I drive.