wierd iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by babadoo, Dec 20, 2007.

1. babadoo macrumors newbie

Ok, first some background.
    I just bought an external harddrive (WD mybook).
    I copied all my music to the external. The only files I left on my HD are the ones that I downloaded (kept for a back up) I deleted all files where I have the CD. Well yesterday I had to shut down my computer and when I turned it back on iTunes did not save my preferences. I had it set up to import new CDs to mybook:la musica (la musica is just what I names the folder). Well iTunes went back to the default of HD:user:my music ect.... It also now directs the path back to HD:user:my music for the files I left on my hard drive. It still plays them but not from the external drive rather from the HD. The files are still on the external but if I delete from the HD iTunes cant find them.

So the question is, how do I have iTunes only play the files directly from the external?

does that make sense?

2. sil3nc3 macrumors regular

Goto:
    iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>General
    and change the iTunes folder location to where you would like it to be (Ext. Drive>La Musica) or wherever all your music is kept.

hope it helps ;)

3. babadoo thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah. I did change that, in fact next time I shut the computer down I will have to change it back again because it resets to default.

All the music does go into the external drive, but then the path changes upon restarting comp to use the files kept on the HD instead of the external drive.

I wouldn't have even know it does this but U right clicked on a few files and noticed that path was HD:users:my music instead of the external. They i realized that all the files that I had kept on the HD had reverted.