Wierd Mac OS X hang

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John Jacob, Apr 25, 2010.

1. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I run Leopard (10.5.8) on a Unibody Macbook (collector's edition :D). Today, I experienced a wierd hang when I unlocked the screen on my Macbook. See the attached picture. The screensaver cleared and I could see my desktop and applications, but the unlock screen dialog didn't go away, all buttons were disabled and clicking on the desktop or on Firefox had no effect. The mouse moved around the screen just fine, but nothing happened no matter wherever I clicked, and there was no movement of the dock or anything. No combinations of keypresses made any difference. Finally I had to force shutdown of my Mac by holding the power button. :( Any ideas what could be wrong? Is there any way I can send this hang to Apple?

I actually have another computer (a PC) in the house, so in hindsight I should have tried to SSH into my Mac and tried killing some processes to see if I could get it back. I didn't think of it at the time this happened.

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does it work fine now after the force shut down? I guess it just crashed or something, nothing harmful if it work now

3. John Jacob thread starter macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Yeah, it does work fine now. Just wondering what could have gone wrong.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Check the logs from that time period and see if you can find something that sticks out.