Wierd Terminal, Help Needed.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richiejenkins, Jun 10, 2010.

1. richiejenkins macrumors newbie

Ok, heres the thing. My sister has a blackberry which is not connected to the macbook in anyway. The macbook and the blackberry connect to the same wireless.

It really does have me puzzled why it is appearing in the terminal, any ideas?

Also it says the last login was from ttys000. What's that?

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

It seems that somehow your computer name in the Sharing Preferences got changed to "blackberry-980." Just go into your System Preferences and then to Sharing. At the top should be a field for the Computer Name and change it there.

3. richiejenkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, however as soon as I use a firewall(little snitch) the blackberry no longer appears in the terminal?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Firewalls block incoming traffic. LittleSnitch blocks outgoing traffic. My Terminal doesn't show any of that because I changed the prompt.
    Code:
    export PS1=":\w> "
    Read more about the prompt.

5. richiejenkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thank for the reply.

I'm still confused why it was there in the first place.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Do you tether to your Blackberry? (for Internet).

7. richiejenkins thread starter macrumors newbie

No.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Interesting. The "computer name" in terminal is actually the hostname of the machine. Well, it cycles between the Computer Name and Local Host Name depending on whether or not there are values.

One of the things you didn't clarify with the first reply is whether or not the Sharing Name was in fact the same as what appears in Terminal.

However, if there is a HostName it will always appear in standard prompt.

This means that you machine is going out and grabbing a HostName from a DNS/DHCP server. Confirm that a hostname is set by typing this into Terminal:

Code:
    scutil --get HostName
    Now, if this is the case, check Console for messages from configd. Something along the lines of

Code:
    setting hostname to "blackberry-980"
    The problem is of course figuring where the machine is grabbing the name from.

Also the ttys000 simply refers to the method of the last login. ttys I believe simply refers to the keyboard. While console refers to a login from a terminal console.