Wife lost her iPhone. MobileMe question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boon209, Oct 22, 2010.

1. boon209 macrumors member

Went out to dinner with the wife tonight, after getting home she realize that she didn't have her phone in her purse. She was using it to check some text earlier and don't remember if she had place it back in her purse. We have MobileMe on her phone but it's not showing up. How can I get MobileMe to work? Or can I get it to work at all?

We tried calling it but it goes straight to voicemail so I assume that it is turned off. She also have a passcode on the phone. Is there anyway to track the phone with MobileMe if it's off or restore? I was reading online and someone said that if they connect the iPhone to wifi I can track it but if they restore it can I still track them?

Sorry if I'm rambling. Sort of frustrated at the moment. It was a 16gb IP4 just 2 months old.

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

If the phone is off you can't track it. If the sim is out you can't track it unless they connect to wifi and haven't wiped the phone yet. If they do a restore as a new phone all your data is gone and it is no longer tied to your mobile me account - you can't track it.

You should call the AT&T to report it lost. Otherwise you'll be responsible for paying all usage. Once they disable the sim, you can't call or track it even if they turn it on and it connects to 3G.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The phone has to be turned on for Mobile Me to function properly. Mobile Me will not function if their is no reception, turned off or if it has been restored.

If someone did find the phone, but turned it off, then if I were you I would keep checking Mobile Me online (refresh the page) often so that when the phone is finally back on, Mobile Me can do its thing and locate it (Time is a factor, and don't forget to take a screenshot of the location once it has been found).

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If they restore it, then it will wipe out all of ur data and account information. It is gone forever. If someone found it, then ur best hope is that someone would return it to you.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You are better off contacting ur insurance company or find a way to get a replacement.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Mobile Me will work if the phone is simply asleep. I have used it to find my phone a couple of times when I've misplaced it around the house.

Go to your Mobile Me account and use the Find My iPhone icon and follow the instructions it should work. When I was looking for my iPhone I put a message on the phone and when I found the phone the message was there. I have not tried to wipe the phone, as I didn't want to go through the hassle of restoring it.

I should say that my phone was not password protected, but I think that, that will not matter. The find my iPhone bypasses that.

7. boon209 thread starter macrumors member

F......k. This sucks. Been researching like crazy but it seems all is lost.
    1 question I came across but I don't understand is if the theif takes out my wifes sim for their and connect to wifi I can still tracked them? From reading some post on here thats what others were saying.

Thanks

8. atomicmufin macrumors newbie

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Note the difference between a phone that is "asleep" and one that is "off".

If the phone is "asleep" then you can find it with MobileMe. If it is "off" then you cannot.

I have used MobileMe several times to find my misplaced phone. Each time I found it because it was "asleep".