Wife needs a new desktop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adversus, Oct 23, 2013.

1. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Her 5 year old, $500 budget gaming PC is finally dying, and in the last five years I've got her to switch to Mac OS as her primary OS on her laptop (care of a 13" MBP). Now that she's hooked, she wants a Mac OS desktop.

I was holding off until the new Mac Pro's were announced to see if I'd replace my Mac Pro 5,1 but decided against it since I've got > $3k into mine already and it has plenty of power to keep me happy for now.

So I'm looking at a 27" iMac for her and have spent a few days reading threads and other forums looking at gaming performance. She wants to be able to continue to play Star Wars: The Old Republic, Elder Scrolls Skyrim (and Online when it's released).

So my question:
    1. Will the 755M 1GB suffice for the types of games she plays for 2-3 years?
    2. Or should I upgrade to the 775M 2GB or 780M 4GB?

I'll probably stick with the i5 (lets face it, CPU's are stupidly fast now) and after-market up to 32GB of memory.

My Mac Pro has the 5870, 32GB of RAM and SSD and plays everything at max settings, so just want to make sure she's got enough juice to avoid buying a new one next year.

2. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

My wife also plays that piece of **** game Star Wars. :) SWTOR as its called.
    Offcourse you should aim for the best graphic option. Thats 780m.

I got it myself and i installed SWTOR and ran it for the only reason to show my wife that she must go Mac! She is refusing.. I may even buy her the Mac pro if that is necesary.
    Anyway it ran just fine with everything on max settings and native resolution.

But i know.. Once she go Mac she aint turning back.

3. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

I buy my wife what she needs, if I know what's good for me.

4. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

good point!!!...
    you are a very "naughty boy"! ha! ha! :)