Wife out spending cash again!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lankyman, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

As title states wife spending our hard earned cash. If you have followed any of my posts/threads you will know that I have had the C2D iMac for the last couple of years but never been very fond of the reflective monitor. I love the design and performance but not the screen Anyway to cut a long story short I purchased the new i5 Mini as soon as it was released and married it to a 24" matte screen - job done one happy user.

Wife comes home last night from a days shopping trip and asked if I would help bring in a large package from the car. Imagine my surprise when I got to the car and saw a large box containing a brand new stock base 21.5" iMac. After recovering from the shock wife explains that as I have a new Mini she wanted the latest iMac and some friends of ours are willing to buy our old one for well over half of what we paid for it, what could I say?

As it has come with SL installed I have just downloaded Lion and made a bootable install DVD before doing the install. I have done a Time machine install onto the new machine so everything should be running ship shape in no time at all. I have to say that the i5 is noticably quicker than the old C2D.

Can anyone recommend a safe and secure method for wiping the HD totally. I usually use a hammer to smash my old drives when getting rid of a computer but not an option with the all in one especially since someone is buying it.

Wives eh, I am going to hide her credit cards next time she goes shopping. :eek:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Your wife sounds perfect to me :p

Reboot from Snow Leopard DVD and run Secure Erase from Disk Utility; one pass should suffice. Then reinstall the OS and run software update.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I dream about my wife coming home with a new Mac. If you ever get bored with your wife, let me know.

5. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I might have agreed with you if she had been buying the iMac for me. However, as you will note from my original post she has bought it for herself using "our" money. :eek: I am happy with my new Mini but she has had an attack of one up-man-ship.

I think the only saving grace is that it really hasn't cost that much given how much we are getting for our old C2D model. Thanks for the info on secure wiping of HD. I am just about to start that little job when I'm happy the new iMac is up and running with Lion and I have completed the first TM backup.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

My wife and I have been married for 25 years. We never have an issue about money; we have three checking accounts; a personal account each and a joint account. We contribute to the joint based on how much income we each have and it covers joint expenses - food, mortgage, taxes, etc. Our individual accounts are our own to spend, and we can't question how we spend it. It works great.

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

If you are technically inclined, buy a new HD, swap out the old one and then you will be the only one with the old one.

8. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I'd sell your old iMac to your friends for its real price... :(

9. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Wow, your wife rules. Usually its the man in the relationship that come home with the apple products without "permission" lol. Its true, i remember the launch of the original iphone and some guy in line was holding a sign saying "don't tell my wife".

10. aaronchow macrumors regular

My wife and I are married for 3 years. We have a joint account and she also has her personal account. She saves 100% of her income into her personal account, and we spent all our joint expenses with my pay check... You are a lucky person

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Why is that? Are you afraid of your wife?

12. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    This thread has very little to do with Apple products more with relationships and boundaries. ;)

13. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

My wife has "her" golden rule - what's her's is her's and what's mine is her's also. She maintains this has always worked well for the last 35 years and so sees no need to change it - who am I to argue? :rolleyes:

14. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Get one wrong and you don't get the other. ;)

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Testicles included? :p

16. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Plus two brand new Apple computers. :D

17. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Whatever works! :)

18. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

iMac owners = Free time on the weekends not having to fix a Windoze machine. Just a thought.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

did she mention that she has no shoes or handbags that match her new iMac?

if not ... you have nothing to worry about :D

21. DrewD67 macrumors newbie

We have simple rule in our house, I tell her everything costs £50 (including Harley Davidson, iMac, etc..) and she knows not to ask any more.
    So long as all the bills get paid she doesn't seem to mind.

22. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

At the end of the day our kids are all grown up and have their own lives now so there's just the two of us. You can't take it with you (so they say) plus we have worked hard so we can enjoy life's little luxuries so why not I say.

23. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Last summer...

Last summer on my birthday my wife saw me geeking out over the then new 27" iMac with the Corei7 processor.

She insisted I take one home.

Whom am I to argue?

24. SawceBaws macrumors member

I'm 16 and that sounds baller...

25. joshh20 macrumors newbie

Women are always better to be married to, when they're men.