Wife wanting a 6 now--Next or 2-year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Jun 8, 2015.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

We have AT&T & share 3gb. We both have iphones. Hers keeps dying on her randomly throughout the day. We did the replacement battery recall thing, which helped for a few months, but now it keeps dying daily throughout the day.

She is just ready for a new one. So I bring up the old question...to go with the old 2-year contract or purchasing using Next?

Our bill with her iphone and my iphone comes out to $122 after taxes. My phone was bought using the 2-yr. She is not the type to rush and need a phone every year. I assume if we bought hers using Next that I wouldn't be able to "steal" her upgrade in a year, would I?

Thanks in advance.

2. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

She is off contract correct?

What phone does she want - 16GB iP6?

How much is the NEXT discount per line when you share 3GB of data?

3. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

- don't know
    - yes...possibly 32gb
    - not sure

4. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

If you don't know whether or not she is off contract, how do you know she is eligible to get a subsidized phone?!?!?!

Also, without knowing what the NEXT line discount is, there is no way to calculate which is the better deal.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you're just paying $122 after taxes for 2 lines inclusive of subsidy, then 2-year contract is cheaper than Next. Really not worth switching to Next in your case. Just buy outright and sell your old phone.

6. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

from what I "heard", Next is only worth it with a family plan of 4 or more lines...

7. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

The only way to know for sure is to work out the math. I looked it up and the NEXT discount is only $15/mo if you share under 10GB of data. If you buy a 16GB iP6 on contract, that is $200 + $40 upgrade fee + tax (the tax will vary based on where you live, I used my tax rate for the calculations):

$200 + $40 + tax = $255

On NEXT, the same phone is $650 + tax but you have to subtract from that the $15/mo line discount savings over the course of the 2 year contract:

$650 + tax - ($15 x 24) = $690 - $360 = $330

So the NEXT phone is more expensive by $75. If you share at least 10GB of data, then the NEXT phone is a significantly better deal because the line discount is $25/mo if you share at least 10GB of data.

8. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

I don't get this. You don't have to go by what you "hear"; you just have to do some simple arithmetic.

Having a family plan of 4 or more lines isn't the issue - the issue is how much data is shared. If you share under 10GB of data, the NEXT line discount is only $15/mo and so the 2 year contract price is better. But if you share 10GB or more of data, the NEXT line discount is $25/mo and the NEXT phone is a significantly better deal than the 2 year contract in that case.

The number of people on the plan doesn't matter - it is the amount of data that is shared that matters because that determines the amount of the monthly line discount.

9. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that math! I may just go ahead and go with a 2-year contract.

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

If you need 10GB data call retentions at AT&T and get 15GB for price of 10GB. Gets you $25 off each phone line. So family share plan would be $100 for 15GB and $15 each line. Total $130 for service and if you finance with Next monthly zero interest for phone.

Which you can pay off any time or after 2/3 of payment upgrade to latest phone. Turning in your current one. You can pay ahead to upgrade any time as well. Or pay off, own the phone and sell it yourself. No fees, finance charges or penalties.

11. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

That is gtk about the deal you can get through retentions.

12. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

13. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I suppose that the question you need to ask yourself is this:
    Would you rather pay full price for the phone in installments and be able to buy another phone in a year OR
    Would you rather get subsidized pricing and be tied to a 2 year contract?

Personally, for myself, I prefer the subsidized pricing. It just didn't make sense, to me, to pay full price (in installments) for the opportunity to pay for another new phone in a year.

I'm sure that you'll get lots of opinions, here, on what to do but ultimately only you know the answers to those questions. And only you can make the choice that is best for you.

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Once you use Next, You won't be able to use that line to upgrade until the phone has been paid off. But you do have the option to pay to upgrade. So yes, you wouldn't be able to "Steal" her upgrade, unless you decided to pay off her phone installment early.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the days of subsidized phones is quickly drawing to a close and Next may be your only option. I think if you buy directly from apple, you won't have the option - you can only get it by way of Next

17. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Another thread on Next vs 2 yr contract. I pay $90.6/mo for two iPhones. Mobile share cannot match that. You should do your own math, something similar to what I have attached below.
    att_comparison.PNG

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Not sure if I'm reading your table correctly but it looks like, under the Next plan, it will be 2 years before you pay off your phone in installments. Is that correct?

19. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I t certainly look like things are going in that direction. For me the customer loyalty (staying with one carrier for 2 years), will be out of the window. If I have to pay full price for my iPhone than I'll have no obligation to stay with my carrier and will be able to leave them at will instead of waiting until my contract expires. I guess having customers with a long term commitment are no longer important to cellular providers.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not that they don't want to, but T-Mobile broke it.

Once one of your competitors gives everyone something amazing you have to either follow them or fall behind. So now we all win.

21. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I thought AT&T killed off two year contracts on iPhones a week or two ago. I read something along those lines.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, by being on Next your payments are stretched out over 2 years, so it's fairly similar to being on contract for that period of time.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Third parties no longer offer it, but AT&T themselves still offers contracts.

24. Synfulz macrumors member

Synfulz

I think it was just for the iPhone through partner retailers. (Apple, Best Buy, Wal-Mart)

25. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

And how is that? What did T Mobile do?