Wife's Alarm didn't go off.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b-rad g, Sep 24, 2010.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Ok, I've done some searching and using MRoogle I cannot get an answer as to why this happened. Wife got a shiny brand new iPhone 4 16gb last night and this morning her alarm didn't go off. Luckily her BB Curve that she replaced, and powered down before we went to bed, powers on this morning and starts blaring away at the correct time.

Is there something in Setting that I'm missing? My iPhone was also set, but for a later time, and went off fine.

Seems like a very sporadic problem from what i've found searching.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have missed an alarm several times because of silly mistakes.

Did you have it set to PM instead of AM?
    Did you accidentally forget to activate the alarm?
    Was the ringer volume quiet enough that she missed it? Alarm volume IS dependent on ringer volume, so if was low enough, you both very well may have simply missed it.

3. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Did you have the iPhone powered off?? The iPhone must be powered on for the alarm to go off. You can put the iPhone to sleep with the sleep/wake button, but you cannot have it completely off (holding the sleep/wake button until the slider comes on that says slide to power off).

4. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Yes I made sure it was set to PM.
    If you mean make sure that alarm was turned on then YES.
    Right before I gave it back to her after checking the alarm I turned up the ringer volume a few clicks to about 60% or so.
    I know we didn't sleep through because her powered down BB woke up and started blaring it's alarm.

Phone was powered on and asleep.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

that's strange. i never had a problem with mine.

i mute my phone at night (so emails, texts, phone calls don't wake me up) and my alarm still goes off.

6. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

Did you mean to set your alarm to go off at night?

7. triptyx macrumors member

triptyx

Short circuit between the phone and the chair. :D

8. err404 macrumors 68020

If you do a quick test, say for five minutes from now, does it work?
    When you returned to the home screen, do you see the clock icon next to the battery on the status bar?

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not sure about the iPhone 4, but with my 3Gs, if I turn the ringer volume all the way down, it only vibrates. Sometimes I will sleep through that. Oh, and if I have the volume set high, I wake up in a hurry since it is so loud -- to me anyway. So I would double check your volume setting.

10. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Sorry I made sure it was set to AM.

We did a test last night setting it a couple minutes ahead and it worked fine.
    Before we let it sleep it had the clock icon in the status bar.

Volume was set to about 60%.

11. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Mine did not go off this morning either. I've had it for 3 months and never had a problem.

I thought it was just me...

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

But doesn't the iPhone ringer go on forever until you swipe to turn it off? I've turned off my alarm in my sleep once or twice, without a single sliver of memory that I turned it off.

13. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I've actually read many posts searching for answers that the alarm will go off for about 15 minutes and then quit, but the notification will stay on the screen. That was a big group of people thinking it wasn't going off when really they slept through it. This was definitely not our case though.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting.

I know sometimes I turn down the volume on music or video that I am playing and that in turn affects the ringtone volume. So I always need to double check right before going to bed.

I didn't see, is your iPhone JailBroken or stock?

Not sure how long it rings, but slept through mine the other day and it had turned off eventually. The reason that I knew, there was a message displayed about the alarm.

15. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Kramers hot tub shorted out, and fried the phone. :D

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I'm at a loss. I've used mine on and off for years and never once had it fail on me.

But then again I also always set two alarms on the phone, just in case.

16. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

It was delivered yesterday afternoon from AT&T with 4.1 so definitely stock.

I did notice it had like a 7W or something like that as the first two digits in the serial number. This isn't a refurb is it? I know my serial number starts with 88. Isn't the first two numbers what factory it was amde in?

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Normally one. But if it's important to wake up at a nonstandard time, such as for a ski/snowboard trip, then I set double alarms 5 minutes apart. So far, I've woken up at the first one.

It worked then it didn't. All I can think of at this time, is to double check your settings.

Have you powered off your iPhone then powered it back up. That might fix the issue.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with some ideas. Sorry I can't be more help.

18. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

What do you have listed under repeat? Don't you have to list the day you want it to go off on?

19. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Thanks for all the replies and help!

This is why I love forums so much!

I will double check all settings on the phone when she gets home tonight.

Mine went off this morning at a later time and I had "Never" in the repeat space.

20. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sorry for the noob question but how do you mute all (phone, email, text sounds) except for alarm? I'd love to be able to do that for night time.

21. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Toggle your mute switch. I do it all the time.

22. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

^^^
    I didn't know the alarm sounded even when on Silent. Just tried it, works great. Thanks.

23. AK10R macrumors regular

24. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I've never had this problem with my 1st gen or 4. I use it every day.

25. Surrix macrumors regular

I had a potentially similar problem once. My phone's alarms (I have two wake-up alarms, a second for if I drift off again) went off exactly 10* hours later than they should have. It was pretty weird. These alarms worked fine for months and months, and this only happened once.

*Might've been something other than 10, but it wasn't 12, i.e. a simple AM-PM thing. "Exactly" is meant to indicate ##:00 hours.