Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jread

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
If anyone has some ideas of how to fix this, I would be most grateful:

My wife has a 32GB iPad 4 that keeps warning that it is almost out of storage. I checked the usage and it shows that 27.7GB have been used, yet when I look at the list of apps, there is maybe 9GB total in use. I have attached a screenshot to show you what I mean.

Any idea what in the actual hell is going on here? Is it a virus?

Something's f*cky...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 6,249

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Other includes a lot of things including pictures and videos sent via text or emails as well as the messages themselves. It can also include updates to IOS that were not installed. Some app data is also stored in other.

inyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Maybe she has programs like Photo Stream that are running in the background that need to be turned off or other apps like facebook that suck up space. To be save, maybe it's time to do a file back up. (At least that's what my computer engineering husband does on a regular basis.)

Limitedno1

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2014

My wife has a 32GB iPad 4 that keeps warning that it is almost out of storage. I checked the usage and it shows that 27.7GB have been used, yet when I look at the list of apps, there is maybe 9GB total in use. I have attached a screenshot to show you what I mean.

Something's f*cky...

Hmmmm. Yeah its weird

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The way to fix it is to :

Back up to iTunes

At the top part of the summary page after backing up click restore

This will give you a fresh load of IOS

After that finishes click restore from backup which will reload app, songs, etc.

By the way if she watches a lot of video or streams from iTunes Match it will gradually build up again.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Photostream is accounted for in photos & camera

Have you tried a reset(hold home & power buttons till it shuts off and apple logo appears)?

Then check your usage page again, if it's still an issue connect to iTunes and see what it thinks is filling your iPad up.

jread

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
Ended up getting PhoneClean and used it to clear out all the junk (it was the "Other" data that was taking up all her space). It worked so well that I used it on all of my other devices as well. What a great program!

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Something's f*cky...

Mine does the same thing. I don't have any videos, only 18 or less apps and none of them are outrageously big either. I am jailbroken though, so I'm going to assume that, that may be part of the problem.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Hey thanks for the tip regarding PhoneClean. Is this a free program? I ask because the Buy Now button on their website appears to indicate it's subscription based, $19.99 per year, Ouch !

Merthod

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
Yes some apps can become very resource consuming as time goes by. I had the same issue, I just backed up my data and restored the whole thing like new. It was faster and less problematic.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks for the app tip. I've been having the sane problem with my iPad mini. My space was mysteriously disappearing. This morning I just reset it and restored from a back up. It solved the problem. Next time I'll use the suggested app next time instead of resetting.

criticalb

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
The same thing has been happening to me since installing iOS 7 on both my iPhones and both of my iPads. I've tried restoring from backup, clean restore, you name it - and in a couple of weeks i'm out of space again with something like 20 gb of "other".

I use iTunes match a lot, and kids are always streaming Netflix, but shouldn't Apple be addressing this? Restoring from backup is a real hassle every few weeks on 4 devices.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The same thing has been happening to me since installing iOS 7 on both my iPhones and both of my iPads. I've tried restoring from backup, clean restore, you name it - and in a couple of weeks i'm out of space again with something like 20 gb of "other".

I use iTunes match a lot, and kids are always streaming Netflix, but shouldn't Apple be addressing this? Restoring from backup is a real hassle every few weeks on 4 devices.

It did start with iOS 7 didn't it. It was fine before that and then suddenly my space was just mysteriously disappearing until yesterday when there was virtually nothing on there but a few apps and it was telling me that I had no space.

I've been monitoring my storage much more closely. It's used about 150 mb since yesterday on other. I'm worried that this id going to keep increasing over time.

Last edited:

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

When iTunes Match is used every song played is downloaded and retained in other.

caffiore

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2016
Hmmmm. Yeah its weird
Jul 23, 2016 1:45 AM in response to LocalGuy217

Hi,

I have a 32GB iPad 2 that used to show about 23GB free, but in recent months I only had 1 to 2 free. I tried everything suggested on the web searches but nothing worked. I deleted just about everything including some apps but it made zero improvement. On my iTunes account it showed I had 22GB free but on the iPad it was 1.5. My "other" in iTunes was practically empty.

So I decided to back up my iPad onto my iTunes account and then reset it to factory settings. It immediately showed I had 23GB free. I restored my apps, photos, docs etc. and voila' everything is there as before including the 23 gigs. In fact the iPad is running faster and isn't locking up and closing apps down like it used to.

Hope this helps
Susan

ChrisWilliam

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
UK
Thanks, will do that. Can the "other" be cleared out easily?
yeah, it can be removed. you can choose the app which takes up much space, then uninstall and reinstall it. By doing this, the "other" data related to this app will be deleted. and you'll get some storage back.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
A lot of times if you have iMessages set to Keep messages forever, that takes a ton of space. I moved mine to keep for 1 year and it cleared up GB of space! Find that at settings>messages>message history.

ChrisWilliam

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
UK
yeah, it can be removed. you can choose the app which takes up much space, then uninstall and reinstall it. By doing this, the "other" data related to this app will be deleted. and you'll get some storage back.
so far, i just found some paid software can do this. Still no idea on how to do it quickly manually.

Sir Elfred

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2017

Mine happened after I updated to 10.2.1 it's showing 6.7Gb free on iTunes yet only 1.5Gb on iPad. I looked on iTunes and could not find 'other' so back to square one.
[doublepost=1491990009][/doublepost]
Jul 23, 2016 1:45 AM in response to LocalGuy217

Hi,

I have a 32GB iPad 2 that used to show about 23GB free, but in recent months I only had 1 to 2 free. I tried everything suggested on the web searches but nothing worked. I deleted just about everything including some apps but it made zero improvement. On my iTunes account it showed I had 22GB free but on the iPad it was 1.5. My "other" in iTunes was practically empty.

So I decided to back up my iPad onto my iTunes account and then reset it to factory settings. It immediately showed I had 23GB free. I restored my apps, photos, docs etc. and voila' everything is there as before including the 23 gigs. In fact the iPad is running faster and isn't locking up and closing apps down like it used to.

Hope this helps
Susan
Great. I shall try that. Watch this space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.